just started freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to start a freshwater tank. I set it up and added everything to the tank, decor gravel, ect. I installed an undergravel filter along with power filter. Its a 20 gal tank. After adding the water I added the conditioner and nitrate nitrite and amonia remover. Then I added biozime bacteria.

Waited a few hrs then tested. Everything was out of wack, as expected. Its been 4 days since I tested but I have been adding the dose of biozime everyday as it says to.

I just tested today, my nitrate is about 15 ppm, my nitrite is at less then .5 ppm, my hardness is 25, alk is about 90, and pH is 7.0. Is my tank cycled or am I just waiting for a spike?

I have never had a freshwater tank, all I read about is cycling by adding ammonia to feed bacteria and needing to wait 4-6 weeks for this to complete.

If you have nitrates, then your cycle is fairly close to complete.

The only problem I see is that - because you didn't add any ammonia - you may have a cycle, but it might be a weak one.

If you have some scentless, soapless ammonia available - try adding a tiny amount (~10-15 drops) to the aquarium and then do an Ammonia test.

If all that ammonia is converted to Nitrite and then Nitrate by the next day, then you're cycled. If not, give it some more time to process the ammonia.

Once all the ammonia and Nitrite is gone from your tests - do a 40-50% water change and then you'll be ready for fish.

I've tried the Biozyme stuff before (looks like powdered bread) and while it does make your tank a bit nasty for awhile, it shouldn't take you 4-6 weeks.

Thanks, I was very surprised myself to get close to normal test range when I tested. Guess the biozime does help. I never used the saltwater one on my 55 gal reef. Took over 3 months for nitrates to hit 0 ending the cycle. Freshwater seems so much less complex, though I've heard way dirtier.

I'm going to get some of this ammonia, if I can't get any within a curtin amount of time do I even need to get it? What I'm saying is if I don't get the ammonia within say a week, should I not even bother and just do the water change if levels stay the same.

The problem with not adding ammonia is that your bacteria colony won't be built up to the levels that will support your fish. With reef aquariums, you get all that good bacteria pre-packaged with your Live Rock, but you don't get that in freshwater - you have to grow it from scratch on the filter media, decorations, gravel, etc.

If you don't have easy access to commercial ammonia - others have said that you can either:

1. Dump quite a bit of fish food into the aquarium.

2. Take a fresh shrimp (like the ones you cook and eat) and put it inside a new, unwashed mesh stocking and then into the tank.

The rotting food / shrimp will produce the same ammonia, but it'll be messier.

You haven't cycled the tank. Your readings will be close to "normal" even in an uncycled tank if there is no source of ammonia. If/when you introduce fish, you will see a spike in ammonia. You can either combat this with daily water changes, or do a fishless cycle. Your "Biozime" may help speed a cycle, but it is not going to completely cycle the tank without fish or another ammonia source.

There it is, did the fish food method a few days ago. Things seem to be doing good. The water was way clearer yesterday and today then its ever been. I got my first few fish today seeing as the test levels havent changed much except for nitrite, it has incresed to about 20ppm.

Any tips for the future? Anything wrong with my setup, or anything I should add? Are timers nessisary in freashwater? And last, if I decide to get some live plants, what do I need to do to make them grow healthy?

Back
Top Bottom