Just thought I'd share my 2 main tanks lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One is a 36 bow front other is a standard size 55 the 36 is a community of guppies forktails a few bolivian rams and some tetra glo fish (kids lol) and the 55 has a small assortment of cichlids in it mostly mbunas and 1 male 2 female blue pecocks

Awesome! I love bowfront tanks. I had the opportunity to buy a used one right after I purchased a secondhand 44 G corner tank. It is pentagonal shaped & pretty cool, but I wish I saw the bowfront first.

GloFish! I love them! And must have at least 40, some in that corner tank with a small group of endlers (like guppies) & another group in the 55 G small fish community tank. They seem to have a bad rep among certain fish aficionados. Genetically engineered fluorescent fish were developed by an Asian group in 1999, using genes found in jellyfish. The goal was to detect environmental pollution when the fish selectively glowed in the presence of certain toxins. I don’t know how well all that worked out. Other groups developed the GloFish varieties we see today.

The patent was sold to a pair of scientists/business men who guard it like Fork Knox, circa 2000. This has been or maybe still is a hot button topic as some oppose genetically modified organisms.

I believe GloFish are the most widely sold fish, but not positive. I quit a GloFish Facebook group because I could no longer take reading about their neglect & deaths in the hands of incompetents. I tried to help people, but sometimes you can’t fix stupid.

I was actually looking for breeding info. It is strictly illegal to sell them & you'll never see a pet shop offering any other than the patented brand. These fish breed the same way their not genetically modified counterparts do. I’m sure a lot of underground trading & selling of home bred GloFish goes on.

I want to breed my own at least once for fun. The babies look like either mom or dad, assuming they’re different colors. I’ve seen videos of home bred baby GloFish & they are so adorable.

Back
Top Bottom