Juwel Lido 120 Nano Reef with Refugium & LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ausfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys.

So unfortunately I had to give up my tanks and move country but decided to start over here ;)

I bought a Juwel Lido 120 2 weeks ago.

For flow I use the Tunze nano reef pack 200 that comes with a 800l/h surface skimming punp and a skimmer. Took me a while to adjust them but now they are running great!

I had a long internal debate on lighting, especially halides vs LED but then got a great deal:
Maxspect G2-400-110W. A 110W LED fixture with 2 separate timers (blue/white) and moonlights. Crazy for that prize! :dance:

Well, so far I added 18kg/36 pounds of live rock. I had a lot of die off to deal with but slowly life is coming out! Yesterday 5 turbo snails and a peppermint shrimp. he seems to be a nightwalker as he hides as long as the (day)lights are on.

Diatomes have come and gone, at the moment I am witnessing the full bloom of green algae.

As soon as the christmas crazyness has passed I will install a 40x40x40 cube refugium next to/slightly above the main display. The refugium is intended to be a display refugium with macro algae, a mangrove or 2 and rock rubble to give pods a save harbour.

Future stock plans:

• A pair of True Percula Clownfish (false if I can't get them here).
  • A Blenny, preferrably lawnmower blenny
  • In about 8-12 month I plan to add a mandarine.
  • Mix of SPS/LPS corals
  • 2-3 more shrimp
  • 5 more snails

My first question: what do you think about adding hermits mixed with snails at that size tank? will the snails survive?

What do you think about the planned stock list?

I will post some pics tonight, any input will be highly appreciated!

well, not a lot of comments but here's a little update.

My inverts are doing great, fish are feeding well and the first couple of corals are stocked as well.

I am expecting my refugium to arrive this week. Can't wait for that!

Yesterday a friend of mine was giving away a nem since he has no space and it would travel across his tank twice a day stinging everything.

I know it is early but it's doing really well so far. I opened a thread about some worries I have with it's position:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/sick-bta-or-is-it-normal-243368.html

tonight I'll kate a full tank shot and post it here.

Well, Finally a couple of pictures:

The refugium isn't done yet, still need to pick up my mangroves

What do you think?

Attachments

• image-1150803241.jpg
    image-1150803241.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 331
  • image-2840584499.jpg
    image-2840584499.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 179
  • image-674428681.jpg
    image-674428681.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 185
  • image-3370715170.jpg
    image-3370715170.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 436
Just a quick question. In the last pick you can see the built in Bioflow Filters that Juwel tanks have. I left it in there, emptied all the media for now and just put in filter floss.

No I'd like to use this 'dead' space as a carbon/zeolit/media reactor. Should I just chuck bags of media in? OR better Mod/DIY the column so i somehow fit an actual reactor in there?

If you know of any DIY's, please post them here!

Here's a quick link to the manufacturers website:

JUWEL® Aquarium | Filter Bioflow 3.0 Bioflow 3.0

just a quick update. picked up a bicolor angel from a friends tank. He is really healthy, just a bit shy.

Also got a branching hammer coral that cost me an arm and a leg but i loved the color too much ;)

Attachments

• Foto.jpg
    Foto.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 729
The tank looks great. Is that your fuge above the tank? I really like your angel, is he ok with your coral?

The tank looks great. Is that your fuge above the tank? I really like your angel, is he ok with your coral?

Thanks man. I was starting to think nobody likes it but me. Not that that would be a problem :)

Yeah that's the fuge. I have to change the plumbing since it sucks air down to the display.

On the bright side, my algae is growing like crazy ;)

My angel seems to be ok with my coral. I did find a broken off piece of sps this morning but I haven't identified the culprit yet.

Yeah, I have read a lot on the dwarf angels. I have a coral beauty in my tank. People seem pretty split on them in a reef but mine has been great and they are great looking active fish. It's hard to say no.

I like the visible fuge, i kinda want to do something similar with seahorses in the fuge but I don't think I have the time to give them the proper care right now.

What size is your tank?

It's a 30g with a 15g refugium.

My angel started to come out a lot more and he's been playing with my watchman goby. I can't seem to find a shrimp for him so he's watching the angel now ;)

Back
Top Bottom