KC Fish Stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know any good fish stores in the Kansas City area? I'm looking for some hard to find fish, but I don't trust shipping. I'm mainly looking for good sized Sarasa Comets, Male Plakat Bettas, Amano Shrimp, Masked Julies, and possibly Cockatoo Cichlids. I do have a very good lfs, but they don't have Masked Julies, only Plaid and Golden Julies. Plakat Bettas are hard to find, but I don't trust shipping, even if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to ship. Cockatoo Cichlids, if I can find them online, are almost worth the shipping. My lfs does not carry Sarasa Comets, only Koi and Shubunkin. Petsmart does carry a variety of Bettas, but I've never seen a Plakat, and I don't like their attitudes.

Have you asked your local store if they can order those fish for you?

I've asked them about the Comets before, and they said that they don't stock them. Plakats are really hard to find, as in the easiest place to get them is to be imported from Thailand. The shrimp, I've not yet asked, but I have checked. They have a breeder that provides the Julies, and the Cockatoo Cichlids, I've only seen them online. The Cockatoo cichlids are the difficult ones, they average at a minimum of $20, and they are like both guppies and Bettas. I don't want to have to pay that much for a fish that'll just die, or be killed by another. I can't get a lot of them to ensure that I've got the correct ratio, I just have a 35g flatback hex. I can't get them yet, I'm still getting the tank in order.

First, please tell me you aren't planning to put a comet goldfish, a plakat, julidochromis species and cockatoo cichlids together in a 35g hex.

Next, I can assure you that Apistogramma cacatuoides(cockatoo cichlids) are nothing like guppies or bettas. Any reputable breeder will sell them pre-sexed as a pair or a trio(mff).

I have guppies in a 20g, Comets in a 90g, and betta males spread out in tanks ranging from 1g to 10g, with one male per tank unless it has a divider. I've researched a lot, trying to give them all the best care possible.

What breeders? I don't think that I've seen very many if any cacatuoides as a sexed set. I've not seen very many of them at all. I've checked online, but they are pretty rare. It's easier to find a male plakat then it is to find cacatuoides.

Back
Top Bottom