Keep losing Bala Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pittenger5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Twice now I've lost my bala sharks.
The first time was right after I did a water change, within an hour all 3 were dead. Only the balas, nothing else died (goldfish, guppies, mollys etc). I brought a water same to the lfs, and they said it was perfect.
The second time, I lost a bala, was going to do a scheduled water change, while I was setting up, one went nuts and bounced off the canopy and died pretty much instantly. Did my water change, and after an hour, lost the 3rd bala shark. Once again, only the balas, nothing else.
Im not even sure where to begin? Ive never had this issue before, and balas are the main reason I have a tank, they're my favorite, so I don't want to not have them.

130 gallons.
Also should've mentioned both times I had them for at least a month in the tank, so not "shock" or anything like that.

What temp is tank at? See you have goldfish. Not compatible temps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank runs 78-79 degrees.
And shock from water change was my guess the first time, but I lost 2 this time before doing the change.

Just a couple of things, balas should be in groups of five or more. The water is too warm for goldfish, they should never go above 74 degrees...look at rehoming those or getting them in a proper tank. 130 will still be cramped for skittish bala sharks when grown. You should invest in your own test kit, a liquid one. Pet stores usually use strips which can be inaccurate because it's cheaper and quicker for them.

Bala sharks are sensitive to water conditions. It may be that your filtration isn't enough, it may be during the water changes you aren't adding enough dechlorinator or there is something in your tap water supply that is causing it, it could be any number of things. Balas dying though, especially multiple sets, should warn you that something may be off with your tank. They're also really skittish and get stressed out easily. Having them in too small of a shoal isn't helping.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, something is seriously wrong. I don't think the water change has anything to do with the second set, due to when things happened.
When I had the water tested at the store, they did a liquid test. I also have a liquid test I use, and everything was fine, but I wanted a second opinion. I had it tested at an extremely reputable store (not a big box store) and he said everything is perfect. Normally I'd write it off to coincidence, or a sick fish or something, but having them be perfect for a month, and then have all 3 die off in a matter of hours, and then that happen twice ... well, it makes me concerned, and I'm not sure where to focus.

Yeah, something is seriously wrong. I don't think the water change has anything to do with the second set, due to when things happened.
When I had the water tested at the store, they did a liquid test. I also have a liquid test I use, and everything was fine, but I wanted a second opinion. I had it tested at an extremely reputable store (not a big box store) and he said everything is perfect. Normally I'd write it off to coincidence, or a sick fish or something, but having them be perfect for a month, and then have all 3 die off in a matter of hours, and then that happen twice ... well, it makes me concerned, and I'm not sure where to focus.

I know you don't think its because of a water change, but have you actually tested your water as it comes out of the tap vs aerated and filter for an hour or 2? I have a huge PH swing if I use water straight out of the TAP 7.3 -> 8.1, which was causing my Parecox Rainbows to flip the hell out (Osmo-Regulation "stress can be cause by as much as 0.3 change in PH"). It has to do w/ bringing your tap water to equilibrium and gassing off the pressure that's put into Tap water.

I now must fill a trash can w/ Tap water and aerate for 2hrs before draining and filling the tank.

I would DEF check before and after PH.

I know you don't think its because of a water change,

I know its higher out of the tap, but even directly after a water change (when I lost the first set), the PH was still in a safe level (as tested by the local store). Maybe the swing there was enough to shock them. But the second set I started losing even BEFORE a water change. So I cant put full blame on the change yet.

Well, I think the problem is temperature. It definitely got hotter in there than I expected.I think the Balas were a warning, as I lost a few others yesterday. Didn't realize how hot it got, especially in the afternoon when the sun hit the tank.
Is there any way to cool down the tank other than a 400 chiller? I guess Ill just hafta make sure the AC is on downstairs as we approach summer in texas.

Well, I think the problem is temperature. It definitely got hotter in there than I expected.I think the Balas were a warning, as I lost a few others yesterday. Didn't realize how hot it got, especially in the afternoon when the sun hit the tank.
Is there any way to cool down the tank other than a 400 chiller? I guess Ill just hafta make sure the AC is on downstairs as we approach summer in texas.

Be careful having a lot of sunlight on the tank it can spark algae or diatoms.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom