Keeping a mandarin ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gal sw soon to be reef aquarium. I currently have only 10lbs of lr in it and it has cycled. I would love to keep a mandarin and would build the tank to work for just this fish. Would culturing copepods in a ten gallon tank to supplement the main tank work. I plan on adding another 15-20 lbs of live rock anyway. Any suggestions.

I have read about setting up refugiums. I am still unsure of the plumbing and was thinking that I could just introduce the copepods to the tank occasionally to keep up the pop.

BTW I currently have no fish in this tank.

i just read the thread on Mandarin??? I guess if many believe a 37 gallon is small then my 30 gallon would definately be too small. I guess I should be more thorough and check the threads.

In short do not get one but technically you could keep it in a 30 gal with a constant replenishing of pods and lots of LR. It would be a pain and much easier/cheaper to just buy a larger tank later and then get one. Good job asking and researching before the purchase. (y) That does not seem to be the norm here lately.

Good job asking and researching before the purchase. That does not seem to be the norm here lately.
I second that.
I would not try to keep this fish in a 30gal, even when supplimenting pods. JMHO.

Just for clarification. I would not try to keep one in a 30 either. Just stating it could be done but would be a ton of work. As stated it would be much easier just to buy a larger tank later and get one if that is what you want. Sorry if I confused you. As lando said do not try it. Pick a different fish like a purple firefish. Just make sure it is not a female. :lol: Inside joke ignore the female statement.

Back
Top Bottom