Keeping deep sand bed clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone again. At the moment I have a small bit of diatom on my sand bed. I know it will continue to grow unless I do something.

I have a deep sand bed and want it like that so bacteria that processes nitrate into nitrogen gas can live at the bottom in their preferred low oxygen area.

However I would like to get rid of the diatom on he sand bed. It will slowly grow back over time so I would like something to sift the sand like an orange spot goby. Here is my problem and question. If I have an orange spot goby will it render the deep sand bed pointless? By oxygenating the sand bed when I want it to be a low oxygen area. If so how will I get rid of the diatom on the sand without disturbing the bacteria?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The diatoms will burn off in time. No fish is necessary. Even so, fish like that only disturb the top inch or so. If your bed is 4", you should be fine.

Thanks again Mr. X

I have had a certain level of diatoms on my sand bed for a tank that is over two years old (3 1/2 years old if I include the prior tank from which its contents came). The level increases as I get closer to my water change dates and is a reminder for me to do the water change. I also suspect that I overfeed the tank a bit but my water parameters are almost always near perfect. I would love to think that they would eventually burn off for good but I have not had that experience. I've learned to accept a certain level of them. Mr. X, any ideas besides more frequent water changes? Thanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420209952.445017.jpg

Cut back on feeding. Your statement "I overfeed" doesn't coincide with parameters being near perfect and having algae blooms. You have answered your own question. What diatoms consume is being added to the tank by you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom