Keeping fry alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta Platy Addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sunset platy looks like she is nearing her date. I can see little fry eyes in her belly - so cute!

Anyway, it's a community tank (2 female platy, neons, corys and pesky pond snails, 20gal).

I added a couple fake plants along with the real ones and made a floating ball with a plastic plant. Think this is enough cover for the babies once they arrive????

image-1869197388.jpg

image-2951361741.jpg

That's lovely! I'm sure you'll have plenty of survivors. I let my platies birth in the main tank, and every drop results in around 20 fry who thrive and grow and overcrowd my tank. Good luck!

Ok great! Thank you! At what age (fry) do the platies stop trying to eat the fry?

I've never seen a single fry being eaten by the platies. The main fry eating culprits in my tank are the penguin tetras! Age-wise, I think within a week as they quickly learn to hide. It's the first moments that are the most dangerous for them. They come out and basically go 'argh!!' Then get their senses and quickly dart into the plants to hide.

Hmm. Ok. I only had 5 survivors when my blue girl had her babies. Then when we had a power outage the fry all died. Unless they were eaten. I have Cory's neons and my two platy girls so I think only the platies would eat the fry?

Hmm. Ok. I only had 5 survivors when my blue girl had her babies. Then when we had a power outage the fry all died. Unless they were eaten. I have Cory's neons and my two platy girls so I think only the platies would eat the fry?

Yeah so I'd imagine then, you'd have a pretty good survival rate. I suppose as with all things, all our experiences will differ. Fingers crossed for you!

Back
Top Bottom