Kens fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made and order from kens fish today and I purchased some of his food because I've heard nice things about it. Then upon research after I ordered, it seems there are a lot of conflicting opinions. So I just wanted to know what the members here on AA thought of it.

I ordered earthworm pellets and 5 stick blend, so if you have used those, I would especially like to hear your opinion on those.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I asked the same question I'm my tank build. I purchased some Ken's Premium Tropical Flake at a swap. My fish don't seem to like it as much as a few other foods I've been feeding. I have met breeders who feed Ken's exclusively and they have nice fish, I have some in my fish room. I'm interested to see what others have to say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have been using several kinds.
Previously the Ken's premium growth meal and it was given to me by a member with a trade and it is great, little fish love it!

Then recently was given green flake very readily eaten.

Also Golden Pearls (tiny ones for fry or little fish) they seem to spike the ammonia pretty quick and a little goes a long way, so use much caution!!! Do not over feed this food.

I almost in one tank and I did have fish die in the other- with an OD on this stuff and had crazy spikes. Normally I don't need to test the water, just putt along on auto pilot. Then KaBam! Had started transitioning over to this food as a regular/daily food.

These are used only 1 or 2 times per week now, not every day.

I use kens flakes.
Earthworm,blackworm, bloodworm and tropical.
They seem ok to me.
I do also feed 2 sizes of NLS and many different frozen foods.
Been using kens for more then 2 years at least.

Here is a comparison.

Their are many that swear by his foods, I'm not one of them. The ingredient list is really no better than any other low end junk food which uses alot of fillers such as corn, wheat, and oat flour which serves as fillers and binding agents. Look at their list and then compare to NLS flakes which uses actual whole Antarctic krill and whole herring instead of fish meal which utilizes all the left over parts from other industries rather than the whole fish. Compare and you'll see the differences.

Ken's Cichlid flakes,

Ingredients: fish meal, dried brewers yeast, soy flour, wheat flour, oat flour, corn gluten meal, soy protein concentrate, shrimp meal, dried plankton, dried spirulina algae, dried krill, dried earthworms, dried kelp, vitamin supplements a, d3, b1, b12, & biotin. Stabilized vitamin c.

Now NLS,

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Vitamin B 12 supplement , Thiamine, Biotin, DL-Alphatocophero (E), Riboflavin Supplement , Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate , Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate.

Last edited:
We don't have Ken's fish food here but got to admit I'm a convert to NLS now.

I recently purchased new fish and bought Omega Flakes. The lfs normally fed Tetra. Well, the fish didn't care for the Omega and most of them liked the Tetra Flakes, with the exception of the rams. They didn't care for either and to me they seemed a bit underweight. I didn't care for the Tetra Flake ingredients, so I purchased NLS Flakes and just received them today. They went absolutely nuts. I've never had fish so eager to eat flake food - even the rams. Should have had this years ago.

Last edited:
NLS is popular with my fish as well. Have you tried Cobalt fish food?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input!

Food should get here tomorrow, so I'll let you all know how everything goes.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Well I forgot today was Columbus Day, so there was no mail. So it should be here tomorrow

Fishobsessed7

I don't think I'd buy it again honestly. My fish just don't respond to it that well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Got to say IMO the cichlid flakes are a poor representation (ingredient wise) compared to the flakes I said I use.
Research pays so if you really want to know to judge food then this is the link

Fish Food Ingredients

Got to say IMO the cichlid flakes are a poor representation (ingredient wise) compared to the flakes I said I use.
Research pays so if you really want to know to judge food then this is the link

Fish Food Ingredients

Earthworm flake ingredients...

Main Ingredients: salmon meal, soy flour, fresh earthworms, wheat, oat & gluten flours, frozen or dried brine-shrimp, dried spirulina, lecithin. Fish oil, vitamin b1, a & c. Choline hcl, biotin, methionine. Thiamine ( source of vitamin b1), asorbic acid (source of vitamin c ). Dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation

Still junk in my opinion with fillers and binding agents rounding out the top five ingredients.

The package got here today, and they seemed to like the earthworm sticks. I didn't try the others, but maybe tomorrow.

Fishobsessed7

The fish like it! My fish seem to be more active after feeding the earthworm sticks. Some of the sticks in the 5 stick blend are popular with them while others are not.

I haven't noticed brighter or duller colors, but based on the activity level it must be pretty good. Only thing I've disliked is that it breaks down quickly, although the fish almost alway devour it before then.

Fishobsessed7

I may try those earthworm sticks some time. My fish like the zoomed earthworm flakes. I'm sure Ken's is more economical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom