Ken's Premium Flake Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lengelund

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone ever try Kens's Premium Flakes from Kensfish.com? They sent me a free sample of their Vitamin flake when I placed an order. My fish really liked it on the occasions that I gave it to them as a treat. I recently ordered some more supplies from them and went ahead and ordered their Premium Vegetable Flake. It's got seaweed, spirulina, spinach, carrots, and zucchini in it. 35% protein.
My Africans get NLS pellets as their daily staple, but I like them to get their veggies, too. I was using Omega One Super Veggie Flake before, but can't always find it and the bottom third of the container is just tiny crumbs.

I feed Ken's premium flakes to my tropicals (barbs, tetras, guppys). The mbuna get a combo of Ken's cichlid flakes and spirulina flakes. I'll be ordering NLS pellets for them soon.

My fish love love love Ken's flake foods. All of the fish go nuts over the cichlid flake combo.

Ken's flakes are made for them to their specs, and are as good or better than any other flake food IMO. I use their veggie flake (NLS pellets staple diet) a couple times weekly for all my fish, occasionally frozen bloodworms or freeze-dried blackworms for variety, canned green beans once weekly.

That's great to hear. I never would have thought to try them, but the way my fish went after the freebie they sent made me want to order some. The 8 oz. Bag looks like it will last forever! I repackaged some and put it in the freezer to keep fresh. How long do you guys keep your food around? I throw out leftovers once they are a year old.

I usually order enough for close to a year. I refill a container and keep most in the freezer. I'd think it would last 2+ years.

If I end up with a surplus, I trade it to folks for plants or other goodies for my tanks. (y)

I have noticed that Ken's products dissolve in water very quickly, especially the pellets or sticks. It creates a lot more maintenance.

spkehl said:
I have noticed that Ken's products dissolve in water very quickly, especially the pellets or sticks. It creates a lot more maintenance.

Agreed, the snails love the veggie sticks but they make quite a mess, dissolving everywhere.

I feed the Omega veggie flakes to my rainbows and danios once a week and they really aren't thrilled about it. So, you guys have good experience with the fish eating this brand? I will look into getting some.

And I think all flakes are messy. I wish they made veggie pellets.

spkehl said:

I haven't used the pellets or sticks. The flakes come in big pieces, almost like sheets.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I feed the Omega veggie flakes to my rainbows and danios once a week and they really aren't thrilled about it. So, you guys have good experience with the fish eating this brand? I will look into getting some.

And I think all flakes are messy. I wish they made veggie pellets.

Omega one DOES make a veggie pellet. It's called Omega One super kelp pellets. I use it and love it! I hate flakes...so messy and by the time you reach the bottom of the container what's left is a powder.

spkehl said:

I've been thinking about getting some of Ken's pellets, would you recommend them? Fast dissolving has me kinda worried. How fast is fast?

I actually really like kens sticks, the 5 stick blend is nice as well as the veggie stick+ calcium. They do begin to break down after a few minutes like most other extruded sticks do. Angelsplus has some really nice spirulina sticks that hold up a lot better if you have slow eaters.

Back
Top Bottom