kent freshwater plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have kent freshwater plant, any feelings about this particular fert?

should i wait untill algae growth disipates before i this fert or any other?

Tim, I think getting your Macros in balance will help the algae growth subside.

Is this the variety of Kent fert you are talking about?
Fertilizer Product Information

It looks like it provides Nitrogen, and some micros. It depends on where your N is sitting, and also depends on what your requirements are. If you are bottoming out on P or K, this isn't going to do much for you.

Ok, so this one provides potassium and Fe.

As far as tests, you probably already have a Nitrate test kit -- this is the N. You can pick up a P (PO4) test kit at a good LFS. You can find a K test but it is not necessary, and an accurate test kit at the levels you are looking for is going to be expensive. A cheaper K test kit isn't going to give accurate readings, so your best bet is to just skip it. Just add what the recommended dosage on your kent bottle, or even 20% or so more. It is tough to overdose the K.

Depending on what substrate you have, I would recommend picking up a micro fert of some sort. The first Kent product I referenced would work (if you need to add N to your tank too) or Flourish makes a "comprehensive" that has all the micros but Fe in it.

Actually Flourish Comprehensive does contain Fe, which is commonly used to determine how much to dose in more advanced dosing schemes.

Actually Flourish Comprehensive does contain Fe, which is commonly used to determine how much to dose in more advanced dosing schemes.

Good call purr. I was wondering why my fe was testing higher than I calculated for dosing.

kent is liquid fert right? i always say why pay for water. i just buy dry ferts then make my own liquid. saves a lot of money in the long run.

where would you purchase dry ferts? and how do you know what to mix if there arent really test kits ?

Tim, there are test kits. You can test for N and P. There just no need to test for K because it is so difficult to overdose. If you were really **** bent on testing for K, you can get a kit, but it just isn't necessary.

Also, as time progresses, you will learn to recognize specific macro nutrient deficiency symptoms in your plants. This will help you recognize when/how much you need to dose. But the test kits for N and P are a great confirmation/backup for this.

You can also get an Fe test kit. It is a little pricey, but I love data, so I bought 1...

You can buy dry ferts from Rex Griggs -

Fertilizers For The Planted Tank | Ferts

rex has been a little slow i know several people who knows the person who sells from Shop online at AquariumFertilizer.com that mix will last a year or longer you can add it dry or make your own liquid. i make my own trace mix thats 3 times stronger then flourish.

Back
Top Bottom