Kent Pro-Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseynewton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a typical aquarium setup with Discus and Plants. I'm using Discus Essential to add minerals to RO water. I have also been using Kent Pro-Plant for fertilizer for plants. This automatically raises my nitrates with water change to near 20ppm. Is it truly raising my nitrates, or artificially raising them.

I'm using RO water completely. Tested it before adding anything: zero nitrates. Tested after added Discus minerals: zero nitrates. Tested after adding Kent Pro-Plant: 20 ppm of nitrates.

Should anyone have any comments on this...

1: anyone experience increase nitrates using this product?
2: is it just messing with my drop nitrate test kit?
3: is this harmful for my fish?

There's nothing artificial about it, it's kno3, just not produced by waste but rather by the fertilizer.

As to whether it's harmful, idk, but since discus are notoriously sensitive to nitrates I would probably cut back on the dosage and instead maintain a lower level of nitrates by more frequent smaller doses.

Thanks. I don't know how that by passed me. I'm sure the fish will produce enough waste for all my plants on their own. I will cut back.

Good idea. With something that sensitive it's good to just watch it for a while and test to see whether it's needed. You may also consider going with something like flourish comprehensive, it has a really really low amount of kno3 in it.

Back
Top Bottom