KH, Alkalinity, Carbonate hardness or Buffering capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have always checked my PH, Ammo, Nitrite and Nitrate levels. my KH i did few and in between. this is a mistake on my end especially with a planted aquarium. my KH was around 20 PPM, which is a big concern becuase once my KH hits 0, the pH is suddenly free to change rapidly. As most of know a fluctuating PH will kill your fish. i read to why my KH would drop being clueless to why. then i stumbled onto a artical about plants and CO2. if there is no c02 in the water plants will use up KH. i thought i was smart and would be able to balance the plants to the amount of stock so i would not have to worry about a c02 injection system along with doing less water changes because i have plants. in the end i am a rere, does not mater if you have plants or not frequent water changes are needed to help keep ALL the levels in check. this is a lesson learned and hope my fish don't pay the price but i think i got it in time before it hit danger level. only time will tell. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom