KH help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
Using API test 16 drops before it changes! Says 12 is 214.8ppm and marine life should be between 140-200ppm!

I just started testing KH so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Just before this post I checked parameters... All at 0 except PH was 7.4, this is the first time I've seen a swing in the PH. From what I've read (and I'm still left a bit confused) KH and PH will effect one another.

Also running phos guard (been two weeks now) it's testing 0 but I have hair algae and my guess is that's where it's coming from. I'm doing 40% WC weekly to try and get rid of the hair. Looks like its changing to cyano now!

My Duncan was closed up yesterday that's what told me something was wrong. Today I've tested for everything I have a test for. But I'd like to know more about KH. Why it's so high? How to lower it? Please help, what do I do? Need a little education :)

The PH has an inverse interaction with KH. One way of increasing PH Is by enough water surface agitation with power head. While pwc can gradually reduce your alkalinity (kh). Your calcium also has an inverse reaction with KH. Having such parameter characteristics your calcium will never go up with abnormally high KH. Using high grade salt mix would also help.

The PH has an inverse interaction with KH. One way of increasing PH Is by enough water surface agitation with power head. While pwc can gradually reduce your alkalinity (kh). Your calcium also has an inverse reaction with KH. Having such parameter characteristics your calcium will never go up with abnormally high KH. Using high grade salt mix would also help.

So how do I get the KH down? Water changes? Because I feel like I'm doing a lot now (40% weekly). And calcium is low too.

What salt brand are you using? Also API is one of the most inaccurate tests kits. I would have it double checked with either Red Sea Pro or Salifert kit

+1 get a better test kit or have it checked by your LFS. Make sure they use a decent brand as described above. I doubt your dKH is that high.

40% weekly pwc's is also a bit high. Any particular reason you're doing that much that often?

+1 get a better test kit or have it checked by your LFS. Make sure they use a decent brand as described above. I doubt your dKH is that high.

40% weekly pwc's is also a bit high. Any particular reason you're doing that much that often?

Posted above trying to get phos down, thinking this is my hair algae problem.

Think tomorrow I'll call my LFS and see what brand of KH test they use and maybe bring a sample to them.

Check out Randy Holmes reef chemistry alk and cal good info. Explained great and offers different options to balance.

If you are having such problem and pwc does not correct it, I would suggest to test first the parameter of your salt water mixed before pouring it into your tank. Each brand of salt mix has different amount of elements. I was having same kind of problem before with alkalinity when I was using the Reef Crystals by Instant Ocean. When I started using another brand it corrected the problem and increased my calcium level. I did took the readings using Salifert test kit and here is the result of IO.

PH= 8.0
Mg= 1280
dKH= 11.5
Calcium=420
Salinity= 1.026
Temp= 77

I took another readings with API test kit and the dKH is about 1.5 points higher (13.00). If you have similar readings, it explains why your dKH stays on the upper borderline but once you have lots of water surface agitation your PH will go up and dKH will go down.

Back
Top Bottom