Killifish with sick eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
My female killifish has a sort of eye condition, it looks like popeye but the eye is not out, the eye is cloudy I do not no how to treat it or any treatments will be discus safe :thanks:

Hello Plec...

Unless you have a degree in fish biology, it's difficult to know what your fish has, if anything. A little standard aquarium salt added to your water change water will kill most bacteria that can infect aquarium fish.

I would suggest adding just a teaspoon of salt to every 5 gallons of your replacement water and make sure the new water is a bit warmer than that in the tank. Increase your water changes to half the tank volume every week for a month and see if your fish's health improves.

This small amount of salt won't damage plants or hurt sensitive fish. I use it regularly in my Corydoras tanks, and they do fine with it.

It's been my experience that large, frequent water changes, with pure treated tap water and a little salt, over a short time, will help.

B

Hello again Plec...

One other thing you can try that's completely natural, is to feed a little minced garlic a couple of times a week. I've fed a little to my fish for several years and they really go for it. Get the minced kind, though. It's in very small pieces and is perfect for aquarium fish. Don't worry, it won't make the water smell and it's full of vitamins and natural antibotics.

B

Back
Top Bottom