KOI totally AWOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pond 6Ft. x 6Ft. and 24 inches deep with (4) 6" KOI and (6) 2" Comets. I now only have (3) KOI now! One is totally missing! I checked the filter, skimmer and around the immediate area, but no sign of it! Anyone have possible knowledge of just what could of happened to it? I live in PA. :fish2:

I have a pond 6Ft. x 6Ft. and 24 inches deep with (4) 6" KOI and (6) 2" Comets. I now only have (3) KOI now! One is totally missing! I checked the filter, skimmer and around the immediate area, but no sign of it! Anyone have possible knowledge of just what could of happened to it? I live in PA. :fish2:

Sorry about your loss. Happens to my mom a lot. We are in PA too. Millville. And our pond fish go missing every once in a while. Prob a fox, racoon, big bird, etc...

Is your pond netted? Herons are number one here in PA. Spring when fish start swimming again and the fall when ready food sources for the herons start to dwindle.

Thanks for response, but can a Heron take the whole 6" KOI completely out of the pond? I do not have any netting. It is a 4 tier waterfall with the bottom tier housing the fish. Should I have netting over the bottom tier? Not very attractive, if so! Any way to keep herons away? Any deterents ? Thanks again!

Yep, easily! A 6in fish would be no problem. Some fellow pond owners around my area (I am a little south of you) have lost multiple fish that were 24+inches. The herons are such an issue here that two of my neighbors gave up completely on keeping fish in their ponds after trying for almost a decade. Some things that have been tried are nets (on the surface, above the surface and enclosing the entire area), automated sprinkler systems that are activated whenever any animal approaches, trip lines using 20lb test fishing line and dogs. My goldfish breeder actually has his ponds completely enclosed in netting (15ft high), the yard fenced and multiple large dogs. I also know one person that ran livestock electrical wire around their pond (pulses electricity). Some people use owls/fake birds around the pond but my herons did not even bat an eye at these. Nets are not the most attractive thing in the world but it beats losing all your fish. :)

If you got a dark net that blended in and used tent stakes to hold it in place toy could easily remove it for display purposes and every so often to enjoy it without the net. Good luck! A pond would be awesome.

Only 24" deep is hard for fish to escape. Around here I advise 4-6' deep. Another thing I have people try, is to buy black PVC pipes...glue or tie them to rock or concrete...so fish can hide inside, but long enough and heavy enough so Raccoons and birds cannot reach them or flip the tube.
Sorry about your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom