Kondy anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Condylactis gigantea is native to the Caribbean and is frequently encountered in shallow regions containing sea grass beds and sandy bottoms. These anemones, like their cousins, are photosynthetic thus strong lighting is essential. Zooxanthellae which are small single-celled dinoflagellates provide the essential nutrients required by condy anemones for their survival. This symbiotic relationship between anemone and zooxanthellae is a classic example of two living organisms relying on each other for their survival. The zooxanthellae resides within the tissue of the condy anemone where it is offered safety and a place to thrive while offering food to the condy anemone in the form of amino's and carbohydrates. Intense lighting is therefore required hence their profound residence in shallow water. Taking this into account, marine aquarists need to provide intense lighting for this, or any other anemone, to have a chance in their aquarium. Metal halides are the preferred and best form of light source that is as close to that provided by the sun. Condylactis anemones can be maintained under other bulb types such as T-5's, VHO's and power compacts but halides are your best bet. For those of you using standard fluorescent bulb fixtures, anemones should not be on your list of possible, desirable aquarium inhabitants! Food and nutrients required by condylactis anemones are obtained primarily through their zooxanthellae as I hinted on earlier. This does not mean that they will not consume other foodstuff. The offering of krill, clam, silversides and squid once or twice a week will not be refused and will add to the increased growth in condy anemones. The condy anemone has one mouth and one anus and they are one in the same so what is consumed is also released from the same opening in the center of the oral disc or head of the anemone. Regurgitation is a great word that depicts what it looks like when the condy anemone rids itself of wastes. Often times these anemones will shrink in size as well, causing aquarists sudden panic and fear that their anemone is dying. This is not the case however, as this is just their way of conserving energy and excreting feces.

Just some info I found. I'm surprised I actually got it to copy and paste being a techno moron.
Lol

The algaes in coral and anemones create sugars the organism can easily live on. But injection of some proteins by direct feeding will allow the organism to add tissues faster. Not necessary, but it does have an effect.

Feeding a nem is not a must to make it survive as long as it gets enough light for photosynthesis. Clowns like to feed it and they get protection in return.

Back
Top Bottom