Kribs and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexa1s0nfire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was curious if a pair of Kribensis (M and F) would get along with a school of guppies? I know that when they breed the Kribs can get aggressive but to what extreme? Also, the tendency Kribs have to nip the fins of slow moving fish, will this be an issue as I don't feel my guppies are slow swimmers?

The kribs can get extremely aggressive and territorial when mating anything that swims near "their territory" will def be attacked. As far as the guppys go they are fast swimmers but if the kribs become aggressive nothing is safe

From what I have read they prefer to mate in slightly acidic water and I have slightly alkaline water. Will this lessen the chances that they will breed or is it just inevitable?

I also don't have a tank suitable for the kribs once they do mate. All I have is a 5 gallon and live in an apartment so I have little to no room for another suitable tank. I would really hate to have to take them back as I have fell in love.

I don't think they would be a good mix. I have a pair in a 20H and they get extremely aggressive during breeding. They killed a few of my tetras when I had them in my community tank. Even my large 6"+ angel was hovering in a corner looking stressed. This is why they are in their own tank (only other fish are bottom dwellers).

As far as breeding... pretty much just add water! :)

I haven't done anything fancy to get mine to breed. I'll fatten the female up for a week or so then introduce the male. That is usually all it takes.

Yeah it was a spontaneous purchase for me and is not like me. I got the pair for $1.99 and couldn't pass it up. I may just have to return them :( Or convince the girl to get another tank :)

Back
Top Bottom