Lake tang tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
Tank #10 has arrived. Due to my naturally hard water and high ph I'm going lake tang with it...but need some help!
It's a 90g tank. I will be upgrading my lepidiolamprologus hecqui into it, and I want to do some julidochromis and calvus as well.
I've been looking for some other species to put in. I've done a little bit of reading and pared down my list, but now I need the expertise from those of you who've kept them before...cichlids are a new foray for me. I'm trying to choose something that's usually available and not super expensive. Any input is appreciated! Here's my maybe list:
Callochromis
Chalinochromis
Ctenochromis
Cunningtonia
Greenwoodochromis
Opthalmotilapia boops
Paracyprochromis
Trematochroma
Variabilichromis
Neolamprologus savoryi
Tretocephalus

Just a heads up, very little on that list is commonly available, some I've rarely ever seen offered, and most are not going to be cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just a heads up, very little on that list is commonly available, some I've rarely ever seen offered, and most are not going to be cheap.

+1, but i can point you in the direction of them?. I got a guy, whos got a guy. Lol. But honestly i can send you to a place that specializes in these types of rareties.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are not common but not terribly hard to find. I'd start with Tom's as he always has great stock, many fish from our club come from there.

Tom's Tanganyikans | African Cichlid Breeder - Tanganyika Cichlids

I've been looking for some other species to put in. I've done a little bit of reading and pared down my list, but now I need the expertise from those of you who've kept them before...cichlids are a new foray for me.

I can't help as I've never been interested in Tanganyika, Vics yes but no tangs...

Daves is also good. Daves rare aquarium fish.

True, sir. But once in a while he has a laje tang surprise or 2. Ive also gotten some victorians from him as well. But he does seem to do mainly malawi.

Just checked. Daves has abt 60 listings for lake tang. Toms has a ton too. Both are great sources. Hope everyones been able to help.

Thanks guys! I'm heading to a local auction at the end of July so who knows what will pop up there. Is there anything on that list I absolutely shouldn't consider?

Back
Top Bottom