Large lump on betta's head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Betta that my son named "Lamby" and he has this large lump on his head. Before he developed the lump, he's been acting strange for 3 months or more. He use to swim gracefully around and was curious about everything. He had a healthy appetite (4 betta pellets twice a day). We had him in a one gallon tank (he'd been there for 1-2 years) but when he started acting lethargic, laying on the ground most of the time, not wanting to see us, struggling to swim up gracefully; we put him in a 5 gallon tank. He did not perk up. His habitat has a cave to hide in and a fake plant that he can swim in and rest on. There's a filter and a heater that keeps it at 78 degrees. I clean the gravel every weekend with a 20% water change. I monitor the ammonia, PH, water hardness, nitrate and nitrites. I use bottled water with betta water conditioner, API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme, and aquarium salt. I also use Catappa Leaves.

A couple weeks ago I noticed he would fall onto his side when he'd stop swimming. He stopped eating last week. He also developed a bump between his eyes. I treated him with a 5 day broad spectrum medicine that covered a host of ailments. No improvement. I did a 30% water change. He was struggling to get up for air in that big deep tank and his bump had doubled in size and was blood red. I put him back in the one gallon and started treating him two days ago with API Melafix and Pimafix. Now the bump is fuzzy and white. You can kind of see in the 3rd picture that the skin is open. My husband said it almost looks like pus. I'm including pictures.

What is this thing??? I can't find pictures of similar bumps when I google. If I can identify it maybe I can save Lamby.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180627_214258.jpg
    20180627_214258.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180627_214226.jpg
    20180627_214226.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 802
  • 20180627_214215.jpg
    20180627_214215.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180627_214134.jpg
    20180627_214134.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 80
I think your husband is right. IMO the Betta is suffering from a bacterial infection. The white fuzzy growth is fungus growing on dead tissue. I haven't had much luck curing bacterial outbreaks, but there are a lot of meds available at your local fish store. Hope things get better.

Thanks! I was thinking along the same lines. Are the API Melafix and Pimafix good options for treatment? This is day three on that but wanted to make sure I'm using the most effective treatment.

Melafix is probably as good as any. It acts more like an antiseptic.

Back
Top Bottom