Large pebble substrate- any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm setting up a 29g tank using only materials I have leftover from other tanks. This is going to be the cheapest set up I can possibly make.

I have a ton of large river pebble substrate- I never used it because I much prefer eco-complete.

Each grain of substrate is about double the size of a pea.

Are there things I need to worry about?
I don't think carpeting plants will do well with this substrate, and I also worry about food falling through.

My cories will probably not appreciate this substrate compared to their current eco-complete home. Oh well.

Thanks!

In one word. Don't

Plants will be floating on top all the time. And they will probably dye. Rock don't hold any nutrients. Dirt, clay and substrate are what the pro use.

Thanks everyone. Yknow, I don't like the look of PFS. It's so bright! But yes cories and Shrimp and just about everyone loves it.
Well anyways, my reason for not wanting to invest in PFS is because I DO NOT want to wash it. I'm worried about washing it indoors,; don't small sand particles damage/clog drains? And I have no way of washing it outdoors.
If it is agreed that washing it indoors is ok, then I will try it.

Eco-complete is my substrate of choice, and it's currently $16.99 online at Petco. Although relatively cheap, it adds up to costing as much as my Statistics textbook. That hurts :(
Oh but I love how easy it is to use!!!!

I may have to poke around craigslist for a substrate.

Look at floramax. It's the same material as eco complete, except it's dry. The only difference is that eco complete is usually a smaller grain and floramax is usually a larger grain. They're both available in small and large grain, but it's harder to find the smaller grain floramax. I loved the flormax I had, very dark and roots grew well. It's about the same price as eco complete, but since it's dry, you get about twice as much in a bag.

mfdrookie516 said:
Look at floramax. It's the same material as eco complete, except it's dry. The only difference is that eco complete is usually a smaller grain and floramax is usually a larger grain. They're both available in small and large grain, but it's harder to find the smaller grain floramax. I loved the flormax I had, very dark and roots grew well. It's about the same price as eco complete, but since it's dry, you get about twice as much in a bag.

Oh that's so great to know! Thank you!!

Do you recall if Floramax had to be washed?

What's causing my limited options is that I need to wash my substrates indoors in my rented apartment. That, I believe, rules out sand (for the sake of the drains). And it may rule out Floramax too. How sad :(

Put the PFS in a pillowcase and rise it that way. No large particles will get into the drain. The small ones won't block it. I rinse sand indoors all the time.

Whoa.... That's brilliant! Mumma, thanks so much. My landlord won't kick me out for using sand!! That's fantastic!!!!

I just added PLAY sand to my tank. Lowes was all out of pool filter sand! I mean, i guess it's completely out of season so I understand. I'm quite pleased with the darkness of the play sand compared to the pool filter sand. It looks a little more natural I guess?

And the pillow idea was awesome! It was such a big help. But the play sand was so dirty, I ended up rinsing the sand in a bucket and dumping the water down the toilet instead of doing it all in the tub. There was just a heck of a lot of debris and fine particles.

I used about 25lbs, for a 29g tank. I think I'll add more tomorrow, and check out that soda bottle trick I hear so much about. I also added a thin layer of my large pea gravel first, just because I had a feeling that might be a good idea ;)
I may have to invest in some MTS, to help me churn this sand!

Should I be concerned about the air pockets I see in the sand? I expect they will resolve themselves.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah play sand can be messy. It took me hours to wash mine :/

Honestly.... I got a little lazy with mine. Once it looked significantly clearer than it was at the beginning, I just dumped it in. That may be setting myself up for a tougher time later, but it's late and I'm tired ;) The fish will live! I think.

What I will stock it with has been bugging me all day. I want to take a plunge with a new species, but I'm a little nervous!

Whenever I rinse substrates, I dumb the bad water in the toilet. I live in a rented apartment too. Or I love dumping it over the balcony. Downstairs neighbors might think you're nuts though.

You could put some of the larger rocks mixed it with the others that people have suggested. I love the mixed substrate look, gives more of a natural look, at least to me.

Whenever I rinse substrates, I dumb the bad water in the toilet. I live in a rented apartment too. Or I love dumping it over the balcony. Downstairs neighbors might think you're nuts though.

You could put some of the larger rocks mixed it with the others that people have suggested. I love the mixed substrate look, gives more of a natural look, at least to me.

Ya I figured the toilet would handle it better than my tub drain. I mean, I guess the tiolets' been through worse! ...... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom