Last Minute Question Regarding Tank Prepping for New Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
My 5 gallon tank that's been cycling for a little over two weeks is finally almost finished cycling. There is a lot of decaying fish food at the bottom of the tank, (My original Ammonia source) and this black debris.

The black debris is from filter media, in which I squeezed the entire contents of into the 5g... the media was from my established 20g.

So, when it comes down to adding the fish, (a Betta) I assume a water change is in need. Before I continue with my question, here are my water parameters:
Ammonia- .25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate 40

I am just waiting for the last of the Ammonia to convert, and then will do a PWC to bring the Nitrates at least under 20. So, my question is while doing a PWC, can I vacuum up the black debris? It's rather unsightly against my once clean and pretty white gravel... also, should I suck out all of the decaying fish flakes? I don't want to disturb bacteria colonies... but I figured that by the time the cycle ends there should be a sufficient enough amount built up in the filter media, correct?

Thank you! :)

The black debris you are talking about it probably carbon. It will not hurt if you lightly vac out the flakes off the surface. Your right that there should be a good amount of good bacteria built up in the filter but I would still use caution about completely gravel vacuuming just yet. Try to pick the carbon out with your hands the best you can.

I agree with the above post.

But you should have enough bacteria in the filter, so I will suggest to vacuum good, if not super deep, but remove the debris that is bothering you.

Okay, thank you. I will suck out the black debris and the fish flakes.
The debris is carbon? I have carbon in my 20g's filter, but I didn't squeeze that into the cycling tank. I only squeezed the foam insert. Anyway, because of a bit of conflicting info, would anyone like to add whether or not I should do a thorough vacuuming? I'm about to do a final water change.

Thanks a ton!

Carbon was just my guess, I don't actually know I cant see it.

Just in case, I wouldnt vacuum a whole bunch. Today, I am getting new fish for a newly cycled tank also. That being said, I am only doing a water change with a small skim over the gravel (With the vac)

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks everyone for your help and input! I will suck up the black stuff and the flakes, but won't grow crazy just in case.
Carbon was just my guess, I don't actually know I cant see it.
Okay, I was asking because I wasn't sure if it could still be carbon if I hadn't squeezed it into the tank. Thanks for your help, though. I suppose it doesn't really matter exactly what it is- all I know is the contents of the used filter media helped cycle my tank pretty quickly! :)

Will test again today and if the Ammonia is gone I'll be getting a Betta! YAY I'M SO EXCITED :D lol

Back
Top Bottom