Lava Rock for Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainHigh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i stoped over to a landscaping place today and picked up some lava rock to use as base rock for my reef aquarium. Its currently beeing set up right now, and was wondering what the best was way to introduce the base rock with the live rock, should i put the base rock in and let it run a while then put the live rock on top, or put the live rock in first let it run a while and add the base rock on top, or add it all at once. I dont have my live rock yet but will soon be purchasing it. Anny comments or suggestions would be a big help thanks. tanks size is 55 gallons to.

All rocks have minerals in it what makes those hirocks so fancy they wont leech anything out, pretty much same idea as lava rock

Hirocks has a good reputation with fellow reefers, I have never heard of any leaching issues with their product. Mostly calcium carbontate based. Lava rock, on the other hand is a 50/50 shot IME, and not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom