Learning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelleshark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

My name is Rachelle. I am a student, wife, and mother. I have kept fish all of my life, starting with a betta named TigerLily when I was in kindergarten. The last time I had fish was back in 2007.

This is the first time I've actually researched stocking an aquarium (which is how I found this forum), I was so ignorant before! I once had 4-5 goldfish in a 2 gallon tank for goodness sake. Luckily, I never had any real trouble keeping fish alive, and now I know a little better.

I just purchased a 10 gallon tank (all we have room for :(). I set it up earlier this week, and added Aqua Safe and turned the filter on. The filer has both charcoal and bio filters, not sure of the make or model because it's at our new condo.

I'm trying to figure out what fish to stock it with, and how many. I'm looking at the hardier types because I know I am too impatient to wait several weeks for the full cycle. :crazyeyes:

Hi. Get a school of tiger or rosy barbs. After some time when your tank is well cycled get a pleco to control the algae growth.

hey welcome to AA :) Everyone on here is super friendly, and will help you if they can. I made the same mistake as you (4 goldies in a 20 gallon)... and now i'm learning how to fix it... so welcome :D
oh, I don't know much about tropical fish, but I know danio's are good fish to have while cycling :) and I have to disagree with you arangarajan93, not to be rude, but pleco's grow to be around 14'' and you need a giant tank for it. there are other breeds of plecos that will work, but just a warning not to get a common pleco :)

chelleshark said:
Hello!

My name is Rachelle. I am a student, wife, and mother. I have kept fish all of my life, starting with a betta named TigerLily when I was in kindergarten. The last time I had fish was back in 2007.

This is the first time I've actually researched stocking an aquarium (which is how I found this forum), I was so ignorant before! I once had 4-5 goldfish in a 2 gallon tank for goodness sake. Luckily, I never had any real trouble keeping fish alive, and now I know a little better.

I just purchased a 10 gallon tank (all we have room for :(). I set it up earlier this week, and added Aqua Safe and turned the filter on. The filer has both charcoal and bio filters, not sure of the make or model because it's at our new condo.

I'm trying to figure out what fish to stock it with, and how many. I'm looking at the hardier types because I know I am too impatient to wait several weeks for the full cycle. :crazyeyes:

Let your tank cycle before getting any fish. Search and read "cycling fishless" and you'll be glad you did.

While your tank is cycling start reading on possible fish. When thinking about fish think of bio load not only size.

Welcome to AA :)

I agree with the others. Make sure to research fishless cycling before you get any fish. It'll make the hobby much more rewarding, and cause much less stress worrying about doing daily water changes, etc to keep your fish from suffering.

Welcome to AA!

I think you'll get some better responses in the FW - Getting Started forum. I'm going to move this thread there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom