Leaving for vacation for 2 weeks, what to do with lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am leaving for vacation for 2 weeks about. My dad has agreed to feed my fish but I don't want to burden him with having to turn on the light for 8-10 hours a day. My room has indirect sunlight that shines in and lights up my room for about 5-6 hours a day and then the sun shifts and it's not as noticeable, but the sunlight never hits my tank directly. I am assuming even though the sun shines into my room it doesn't have any effect on my plants whatsoever.

So I just had the idea of putting all my plants in a glass vase and leaving it upstairs for 2 weeks where it can get some good light (but not get fried by the sun). Do you think my plants will be okay or should I just leave it in the tank?

My plants are
Italian vallisneria
Giant Hairgrass
Anubias
Java Fern
and a marimo ball

I have a co2 system set up but they won't be getting CO2 for the time being in the glass jar.

Also, to add to this, some people may suggest getting a timer for my light, but I really don't trust those. The reason being is that the light I use is a desk lamp with a fitted light bulb (great spectrum, works awesome), but it gets super hot after a few hours and I only ever keep it on for long periods of time or any period when I'm around because I don't want to start a fire...lol, so timer is out of the question.

Do you think my plants will be malnourished in the vase? I could put some sandy substrate with gravel in it too...

I know u dont like timers but there are ones that are out there that look like a dual and u push tabs up and down for when u want lights on and off I use one and it works great its on for 4 hours than off for 4 hours then on again...just look into it u might be surprised and happier with it

You could certainly try submerging them in a vase by the window ... but I couldn't tell you how'd they do. I have to agree with Xfactor6699 ... a timer like he described is really your best option that keeps things the way they are. I have a simple push up on the tab for an hour on, down for off etc and it works great.

Another thing to consider is that the by now I'm certain, your plants have established a system in your tank where they are helping consume ammonia and nitrates as nutrients ... removing them from your tank removes that extra filtration they provide .... possibly leading to a spike in nitrates. Unless your dad is going to do PWC's ... the nitrates will buildup without the plants to use them.

Back
Top Bottom