LED lights for a planted tank quetions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sblosser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As the title says i have a LED light system and wondering opinions on it supporting plant life. I sold some of my cichlids and downsized them all into my 55g. i created a quarantine tank out of my 10g and now my 75 gallon with built in rockwall is sitting here with no substrate and no fish.

I miss the tropical fish and wanted to get a variety of friendly ones for a more peaceful tank. the idea of growing something other than moss's interest me but i dont want to have to go out and spend a bunch of money on it.

so here is the light kit on it now - Aqueon 48" LED kit with all 3 led slots used - 2 daylights and 1 colormax currently installed. and it also has the moonlights in it as well as i have a blue led light bar in the bottom of the tank. can this system support plants if yes what kinds and if not is there a cheep add on i can do to support them.

thanks!

i have heard that this fixture is good only for fish only, not necessarily for plants, even with the expansion packs you bought

The light you have is very low output you can try some Anubis and possibly a sword, but not sure how well they will do

Hello sb...

There are several easy to grow aquarium plants that will do well in most lighting. Any of the varieties of Anubias like nana and nangi don't need to be planted. Java fern and most of the mosses like Singapore will do well in most lighting. If you want to get a little creative, look into emersed land plants that need only room light to grow. There are several of these like Aglaonema, Pothos, Impatiens, Peace lily, Philodendron and Nephthytis. Aquatic floating plants will do well close to the light source. Anacharis and Pennywort are a couple.

You may not need to buy anything. Just use what you have.

B

My plants didn't do too well using LED lights but once I switched the plants did much better. Doesn't look as cool but you'll have healthier fish.

My plants didn't do too well using LED lights but once I switched the plants did much better. Doesn't look as cool but you'll have healthier fish.

It just depends on the LEDs. Finnex makes good high par fixtures. Check out the ray 2, but it does better paired with a monster ray. Also buildmyled.com has great reviews about their LEDs. Current USA has LEDs that are capable of growing plants, but these will not get you high light on the tanks. LEDs are more than capable of growing plants lol.

thanks for the advice but it sounds like i will likely not have much luck with using my current set up. so my question to you now is how about adding a inexpensive kit or fixture to the tank?

I have some 48" fluorescent tube fixtures and it would be very easy to mount one to hang above the tank. in fact that is what i used for awhile when i first set it up. seemed really to bright but i had it very close to the top of the tank.

what would your opinions be on that idea. I also have 2 5 gallon buckets of "river rock" very small little brown rock for substrate should i mix anything in with this when i add it to the tank?

Hello again sb...

If you're handy in this way, then give it a try. Florescent lighting is fine for aquatic plants. GE makes a very good aquarium plant lamp and they're about $10.00 a piece at any hardware store. I use two to three above a couple of my 55 G tanks. T8s are 32 watts and T12s, 40 watts. It's inexpensive lighting that lasts well over a year. Lowe's carries fixtures too for those of us that aren't real handy.

B

The finnex fugeray would be good, it wouldn't get you high light, just low-medium, but it is an led so you really won't ever have to replace anything. Florescents need to be replaced every 6 months if you are growing plants, so LEDs can be the cheaper and easier solution long term.

Back
Top Bottom