LED lights not working :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amyers22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a Top Fin 29 gallon hooded aquarium that came with a strip of LED lights. I am having trouble growing plants even after using a CO2 supplement and flourish liquid fertilizer. I think the lights may be too much to grow plants. What could I purchase that would either fit in the hood of my tank or replace the hood? I would love a densely planted tank, but these LEDs just aren't working.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413607972.955347.jpg I also have a back feathery growth like this on one of my plants that I have read may be new plant growth and is good. However, I have had many grasses and other plants die or only last a few weeks. So are my lights working? Or should I try something else

Yes, I use Flourish liquid fertilizer twice a week and a CO2 supplement once daily.

Standard disclamer: I am a total and complete hopless n00b, but from what I have read while researching planted tanks, it seems to me that those lights probably aren't enough light to get good growth. It's not just the light you want, but the quality of the light (certain spectrums of light are more idea for plant growth, most "planted tank" LED's have a few red LED's and such to provide it).

To answer you question, though, bearing in mind that I AM a total n00b, I would buy a glass lid that would fit on your tank (another full disclosure, I hate these big bulky black plastic hoods), and some sort of LED light that is advertised to be for a planted tank (I have a Finnex Planted+ that seems to work pretty nicely so far, though I've only had it for about a month). Other members would be able to advise you better on CO2 supplements better than me, or even on setting up a full-blown C02 gas system.

ok are these high lights or mods cuz i think that covers low light and moderate lighting

Standard disclamer: I am a total and complete hopless n00b, but from what I have read while researching planted tanks, it seems to me that those lights probably aren't enough light to get good growth. It's not just the light you want, but the quality of the light (certain spectrums of light are more idea for plant growth, most "planted tank" LED's have a few red LED's and such to provide it).

To answer you question, though, bearing in mind that I AM a total n00b, I would buy a glass lid that would fit on your tank (another full disclosure, I hate these big bulky black plastic hoods), and some sort of LED light that is advertised to be for a planted tank (I have a Finnex Planted+ that seems to work pretty nicely so far, though I've only had it for about a month). Other members would be able to advise you better on CO2 supplements better than me, or even on setting up a full-blown C02 gas system.

sorry i was typing when you were lol:)

I agree with Tacit in that your lights are probably very weak and not very plant friendly. Unfortunately most LEDs that come in kits are guilty of this. What sort of plants do you have currently? Did you have a particular budget in mind if your best course of action is to upgrade your lighting?

Sent from my iPad using science

Last edited:
My fiance and I got the same kit to set up together for her birthday and I scoured the internet and found the specs for the lights. I dont remember off the top of my head, but I do remember they're prettymuch -AWFUL- for plants

Is there anything that I could replace my hood with that would fit a 29 gallon and still allow my filter (external) to be where it is?

Many of us like to do open top tanks with a discreet light fixture on the top. Depending on what your goals are for this tank a plant friendly LED fixture would be nice. A Finnex Planted+ would put you squarely into medium light, which would give you a really nice number of plant options assuming you up your dosage of Excel/glut and round out your ferts a bit.

Back
Top Bottom