LED Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, reef guys, this one's for you!! I am considering building my own LED reef capable hood, but all I can find for the blues are 450nm and 470nm, no 460nm's seem to be sold as loose components :confused:. Anyway, which way would you go, or does it absolutely have to be a 460nm wavelength? Thanks.

I don't really have an answer to your question, but actinic is often considered to be 420 nm... just to add more confusion to your issue!

Actually that helps a little. However, the supplier I plan on using classifies their 420nm LED's as violet. Does that sound right?

Sounds about right. 420 is in the purple/violet area while 460 is more blue. I think 420nm was the original "true" actinic - you'll see it referred to as "03 Actinic". As bluer tanks became more popular, they started making the 460nm tubes. So really... anything in that range can be considered an actinic. Which one you use really gets down to personal preference.

Cool thanks. I plan on using blues for a moon light effect also. In fact, I plan on having two separate strings of blues on three way switches, so I can simulate the full moon cycle of new moon to full moon and back again. Now I just need to figure out that ratio of 10k whites to 420nm violets. Kurt, you have been a huge help. Thank you!

What size tank is this going on? I would love to do DIY LED at some point but am completely lost as to how to begin. I can handle the putting together, just don't know what to buy or how much for my tank!

Good luck! Take pictures! :)

Back
Top Bottom