Lethargic Puffer Fish not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon set up with all of the proper equipment and maintenence with a figure eight puffer fish and a reticulated hillstream loach (they ignore each other, zero problems ever). I keep a tank of pond snails to feed him on a regular basis, along with mysis shrimp and krill. He's normally a very healthy eater and quite energetic. But since yesterday he's ignored a snail in his tank, shrimp, and bloodworms. He was at least acting normally until just a little while ago when he started acting very lethargic and his stomach began to look dark. Please help!

I have a 20 gallon set up with all of the proper equipment and maintenence with a figure eight puffer fish and a reticulated hillstream loach (they ignore each other, zero problems ever). I keep a tank of pond snails to feed him on a regular basis, along with mysis shrimp and krill. He's normally a very healthy eater and quite energetic. But since yesterday he's ignored a snail in his tank, shrimp, and bloodworms. He was at least acting normally until just a little while ago when he started acting very lethargic and his stomach began to look dark. Please help!

Is he freshwater, brackish or saltwater. And HS loaches like cool water and lots of current

The loach has all of that and he's a happy little ****. The puffer was boundlessly joyful up until now. He died last night, I still wish I understood why, all this happened very quickly.

He was freshwater, and I don't find the fresh bs brackish debate relevant here, so just let that be.

The temp hangs out between 72 and 75, which is perfect for puffy, debatably a little warm for the loach but theres conflicting sources on the exact temp they're comfortable in. And he's not the one who's sick here

I'm really upset, it was like a life dream of mine to have a puffy, that 20 was all just for him. I might have to just let it cycle for a couple of weeks and move on to some other kind of specimen tank or get a school of some kind of river fish. What kinds of fish do you think would be most compatible with the conditions that make my little loach happy?

I'm really upset, it was like a life dream of mine to have a puffy, that 20 was all just for him. I might have to just let it cycle for a couple of weeks and move on to some other kind of specimen tank or get a school of some kind of river fish. What kinds of fish do you think would be most compatible with the conditions that make my little loach happy?

Maybe start new post to get some exciting new ideas for 20?! :)

I wish that I could have, I don't know enough to. I was reading the other day about some lucky person who happened to work in a pathology lab of some sort and found someone working there who autopsied and diagnosed fish as a hobby, she found out her puff had had Gill flukes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom