LFS bought driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yisel.perez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased some driftwood from an established tank at a LFS. This shouldn't interrupt my current fishless cycle in my 10G should it? And, is there anything i should do to it before adding it in the tank?

thanks, in advance!!!

New DW should not affect the tanks cycle.
It is often suggested to boil it a few times to remove a majority of the tannins (these will discolor the water) and to help it sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree, but also advise to go get your own and cure it. It isn't hard. natural streams, especially that flood, usually have a ton of good driftwood. I look for root wads and larger branches with unusual shapes. To prep it, first weight it then give it a way too hot, as hot as the water heater allows, bath in a 5gal bucket or shop sink and add 1-2 caps bleach. I let it soak for a day than repeat the process. After that I just spray it off and sink it again in hot water. I change the water, just run the hose, every day until it stops discoloring the water. Within a week it will stay submerged. One more good spray off and into the tank it goes.

Back
Top Bottom