LFS says glass catfish need salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today was the second time I've heard them say this to someone today. I've never heard them give bad recommendations, but I have a hard time believing that this is true.

NOOOO!!! lol nah they will be better off without it. Most pet stores say certain fish require salt but 99% dont.

nope they do not need salt. barely any fish do. most freshwater species dont need it, only stuff like gobies, puffers need it.

Chalk up more bad advice from the lfs! Oh brother...... where are they getting their information...... really makes you wonder.

LyndaB said:
Chalk up more bad advice from the lfs! Oh brother...... where are they getting their information...... really makes you wonder.

Haaha. Only brackish and saltwater fish need salt. Unless there is a I'll or wounded fish then it's okay to add a little salt.

I really don't see why any fish store would recomend salt for a freshwater species.

LyndaB said:
So they can sell the salt......

Yep, got it in one!

Reasons my LFS don't sell Prime, from the horses mouth - because it's to economical when compared to the Tetra and API stuff they sell, it's all about the money.

Yeah the lady at Petsmart told me I couldn't buy a Blood Parrot because it would kill my other fish... I did any ways because I knew she was wrong and he's getting along great. I swear I know more than most of the people that work there... it makes me mad

Oh the stuff I hear when I'm in the pet store!

I do feel for the employees because I know they aren't usually given the tools they need. I've seen several situations where they have gotten stock, been told it's one fish and it's a totally different fish. Sometimes they get it under the scientific names and sometimes the common.. sometime sit's just wrong all around. It's hard to sell something you know nothing about.

tamtam said:
Oh the stuff I hear when I'm in the pet store!

I do feel for the employees because I know they aren't usually given the tools they need. I've seen several situations where they have gotten stock, been told it's one fish and it's a totally different fish. Sometimes they get it under the scientific names and sometimes the common.. sometime sit's just wrong all around. It's hard to sell something you know nothing about.

I agree.

My local Petsmart tells people that the 1 inch per gallon rule means a 4 inch fish can be in a 4 gallon tank. They told me a GBR would be ok in a 2.5 gallon.

The thing that threw me off was that I've never heard any bad advice from them. Of course I'm not there all the time, but I've heard on multiple occasions an employee talking a customer out of buying a common pleco for their new 10 or 20 gallon tank. They sell prime there as well.

My local Petsmart tells people that the 1 inch per gallon rule means a 4 inch fish can be in a 4 gallon tank. They told me a GBR would be ok in a 2.5 gallon.

The petsmart by me has updated minimum tank sizes by the sales tag for fish and they seem pretty reasonable now.

I never look at those. I research most of the time before I buy fish.

I'm sure most people here do that, but I doubt even 9 out of 10 people that buy fish from petsmart research fish on their own before buying.

Laser said:
I'm sure most people here do that, but I doubt even 9 out of 10 people that buy fish from petsmart research fish on their own before buying.

I buy fish from petsmart! I guess I am that one out of ten lol. But seriously, I went in for some endlers last week and when I told the girl what I wanted and she dips her net in the silver dollar tank. Uh ok hun the tag is right there on the tank lol, I've been tempted to go get a weekend job there just to get involved but I've decided against it as I'm a pretty opinionated person and I would probably be fired right away. They go through people like mad in the fish dept so I know those people aren't being properly trained :/

Back
Top Bottom