Light cycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bacon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some newly planted crypts and one anubias nana. I want them to start tillering and creating new plants. What light cycle should I use?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Honestly, your photocycle has a pretty small impact on plant growth with aquatic plants. Most tanks provide light in excess and are instead limited by co2 in probably around 90% of cases. Therefore, the secret to good plant growth is almost always carbon supplementation, whether its with a liquid supplement like Excel or actual co2. Of course, if you're already using low light, that can be upgraded as well. If you provided more information about your tank, we could give more specific feedback.

All of my information is on my profile. I was concerned about light cycles, not the amount of light. I.E. 12 hours light, 12 hours dark, 24 hours light, etc. I know that certain plants behave differently with different cycles of light. I try not to do supplimental co2, as I have had bad luck with ph swings in the past. I had a beautiful discus tank once, added co2, and the ph swung so hard over the next few days, my tank was wiped out. And, I can't justify adding a professional grade co2 injection system. Never heard of the liquid co2. I'll look into it, though.

The pH swings from co2 don't really affect plants or animals. I've swung 2+ pH points before without problem, as have many other people.

Edit: but to answer your question, 6-8 hours is usually a good amount of time. You can tinker with it once everything gets into a good schedule.

Back
Top Bottom