light escaping out from the back of the hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has a hood holding my T5's and the back is open (the way the carpentry was done). Would the light be maximized more effectively if I put a mirror closing the hood in or would it make such a minimal impact that I should leave it alone?

My tank has a hood holding my T5's and the back is open (the way the carpentry was done). Would the light be maximized more effectively if I put a mirror closing the hood in or would it make such a minimal impact that I should leave it alone?

I think a sheet of aluminum would be more effective.

Great idea! So you think that keeping light from escaping out the back is beneficial?

It won't hurt that's for sure. How much light is escaping? Until you get the aluminum sheet. Aluminum foil would do the trick also just not look as attractive. Domestic mirrors tend to absorb more light then aluminum.

The light escaping wont honestly make a difference. The hole can be covered but dont use a mirror. Its a horrible reflecting agent. (Kind of an oxymoron if you think about it) if you ant yo reflect it, use a sheet of aluminum (not foil) and give it some bends. You would have to research the bends to get it right

Gloss white paint would actually be better than a sheet of aluminum. I'd just box it in, and use some white krylon fusion spray paint. Make sure there's some holes for gas/heat exchange, though.

Gloss white paint would actually be better than a sheet of aluminum. I'd just box it in, and use some white krylon fusion spray paint. Make sure there's some holes for gas/heat exchange, though.

Good call +1 for gloss white paint

Back
Top Bottom