Light interfering with pump????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEricG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought an internal filter for my 36-gallon tank (Superfish Aqua-flow 400). The blurb says it is quiet, which it was, to begin with. Then I began to notice increased noise from it to the point where I had to switch it off when watching TV etc, as it was so irritating.

I was thinking about contacting the seller with a view to returning it as faulty, but the next day I noticed that it was quiet until the light came on. It, therefore, seems obvious that the light is causing electrical interference.

My lights are very old (40 years plus) fluorescent units.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this experience, though I realise that many people would now have LED lighting. I am considering changing to LEDs but that is for another topic.

I have heard ballast making noise..Usually on older lights both fluorescent and MH.
They can make a loud humming noise...

I know what you mean about the ballast hum but it isn't that. I've had my head as near as possible to the pump and to the ballast and the noise is definitely coming from the pump. Besides, you don't hear it when the lights are on but the filter is off.

By the way, I've looked at some of your YouTube vids and love your display tank in your living room. (y)

Can't help with the pump noise as I'm not sure but if you do upgrade to LED I would definitely recommend a beamsworks RGB 30", I have it on my 36g bowfront just like yours and it works great

Back
Top Bottom