Light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a 29 gallon tank and want to add a few plants. I have a 24" florescent grow light that I usually use to start plants for my garden. I have it mounted over my current 10 gallon tank. I will be putting the 29 gallon on that table. Will this be enough for some moderate light plants? I can mount another one beside the current one to up my light if that would help. The tank will have a clear tank lid. I am putting the lights on a timer set for 12 hour intervals.

Can someone recommend some plants? I will be purchasing from Petsmart as that is the only place I can find plants. I tried the bulbs from Walmart in the fish section many years ago but had no luck with them. Have they improved?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing anything about the light you're using, it's hard to say for sure. How far above the tank the light is will also be an important factor.

The light will be about 12 inches from the top of tank. It is a plant light used to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and other garden plants from seed. I have used them for a couple of years and they do a good job growing seedlings. I always have healthy plants ready to transplant when the weather is right. I also use them for houseplants and they grow well. I used it for my current tank because I needed a light and that is what I had. Then I started thinking about adding plants to my new tank and thought it would be good for that.

Back
Top Bottom