lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, i need some advice for my aquarium. I currently have a 30gal tank, that is 18inches high, 14 inches to the top of the substrate. I have lots of plants in it. Normally the tank has just one 36 inch long regular light fixture that came with the tank, and i have a t8 aqua-glo tube in it that is 6700k and 20 watts. I added a single t5HO fixture to the tank as well. it is 39 watts, and is also 36 inches long. It is also 6700k. this t5 is about 3 inches off the surface of the water, and im curious what sort of light im dealing with. I think i would be in the high light area, but im new to plants and lighting and need some advice from people who know about this stuff. Also, with the current lighting i have, do you think CO2 is a good idea? i currently dont have it, but if it is necessary, or even just favourable with my current light, i will definitely add a co2 system of some kind. Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:
So you have 59 watts all together? With that I would say you have medium light. CO2 is almost always a help but not a necessity.

okay, does it make a difference that the t5HO has a really nice reflector?

It does up the effect of the light. You are on the high side of medium light as far as I am concerned.

Back
Top Bottom