Lighting for a 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
I was planning on doing a low light planted "project" with an old eclipse 12 I have that was sitting dormant. However, the tank wasn't in good shape and I was worried about it's ability to hold water over time with the damage to it from being in storage.

So, I went looking for a replacement, and found a 20gallon on craigslist for a pretty good deal, so I picked it up.

The tanks dimensions are 24" x 12 x 17(tall). Is this considered a 20 tall tank?

On to my lighting question. I want to use this project to feel out the whole planted thing and see if I like it before investing a bunch of money. The hood that came with it is basically junk, on 15W.

I want to stay under the range that I need CO2, like I said I'm not ready to make that kind of investment just yet. So I believe that means I need less than 2WPG, right?

What lighting solutions do you recommend? I don't want high $$ items, since I'm just feeling this out, and if I like it I'll be upgrading anyway.

Ideas?

I'm just feeling this out

Famous last words.

I bought my 29 gallon back in november I think. It now has co2 and lots of plants. I have a 55 heavily planted, a 10 gallon for plant development, a 10 gallon for snails, and I think I'm going with another 10 to try my hand at the zebra breeding thing......

I swore I was going to only have one simple tank with some angels. ROFL

SparKy697 said:
Famous last words.

LOL I can totally see it too. But I've just unloaded quite a bit ofmoney on my 46, and I don't want the wife to get turned off of the hobby because of the money.

Purrbox said:
How about a Twin Tube Flourescent Fixture? This would put you right under medium light and would give you lots of plant options without a ton of expense.

Thank You!
That looks like a good idea, thank you. With the twin 24" fixture (2 18" bulbs) I'd be around 30W, right? that's 1.5 WPG?

What bulbs would you recommend?

You can pick up a glass canopy with is basically a couple of pieces of glass with a hinge, handle and backstrip.

You could also just pick up a second Single Tube Flourescent Fixture for the same effect for less cost, but not quite as nice looking. Both will give you a total of 30WPG over the tank and put it between medium low light and medium light since T8 fixtures are move efficient than the T12 fixtures the WPG "rule" is based on.

Pick up some inexpensive bulbs from your local hardware store. No need for specialty bulbs as they usually are no better than a generic bulb and just cost more. You want something between 5000K and 10000K. I believe that GE is supposed to make a good bulb.

Fostersandsmith had a canopy for like $11, so I'll do that probably if I get the fixture.

Thanks again for the info

I don't want the wife to get turned off of the hobby because of the money.

Now, repeat after me

"But, it was on sale for a great price, and I didn't get a reciept"

"It was only 20 bux"

"I've had this for years, I just shined it up a little"

hahahaha

You have to understand, when I get into hobbies, they always cost me a bunch of money.

My other hobbies include:
Scuba Diving - yes, I spent over 2grand on equipment; and of course I have to take diving trips
R/C Planes - I have 6 planes, all with complete sets of equipment

So I tend to dive in and spend a bunch of money. It's in my genes, my dad's the same way.

neilanh said:
hahahaha

You have to understand, when I get into hobbies, they always cost me a bunch of money.

My other hobbies include:
Scuba Diving - yes, I spent over 2grand on equipment; and of course I have to take diving trips
R/C Planes - I have 6 planes, all with complete sets of equipment

So I tend to dive in and spend a bunch of money. It's in my genes, my dad's the same way.

In no particular order:

-Photography complete with darkroom and 4 cameras
-R/C planes as well, only 4 though
-Ham Radio (defunct) 60' back yard looked like a porcupine with all of the antennas. I was very popular and not in the good way.
-Computer networking/repair. More servers and workstations than any one house needs.
-Handguns. Too many to mention.
-Reloading equipment (must feed above habit)
-Hunting
-Fishing

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

No just go get the stuff you need. They must be used to it by now.

W.O.O. you forgot the obligatory "Do you know how much money I saved you by buying it on sale?"

I don't think the buying it on sale thing would work,
but now I can say
"Honey, it could be worse, come see this thread about this Sparky guy."

hahahaha

You guys crack me up.

Neilanh,
Here's one for
Cooking-$20,000 at culinary school ( not a professional cook)
Cycling- couple of grand on bikes and specialized clipless pedals and other nick nacks
Archery- Target and Bow hunting
Scuba
Photography- darkroom and many cameras

I don't even want to sit down and figure out how much I've spent on hobbies cause if I did my wife would kill me in my sleep.

OOh OOH I forgot about archery!

Lol, It is a sickness isn't it?

I always say that I am practicing for retirement. It's important to keep the mind busy. :)

Hmm, it does look bad in print.

Culinary school? That would be so cool. I have always enjoyed cooking.

LOL you guys are nuts.

Anyways, back on track.

Would I be happier with a PC fixture, such as this as opposed to the twin fluorescent that Purrbox suggested?

If you were to use a 50/50 bulb, you'd have about the same amount of light as the twin tube fixture recommended earlier. This would give you the same options and care routine, with the option of switching to a full daylight bulb later when you're willing to invest some more time and money. With the full amount of light usable you'd need to be looking at CO2 and ferts.

Alright, now I see. So the one I linked was a 36W 50/50, which means only 18W of usable in that configuration, which is less than I want. But if I did the 65W 50/50, that would give me 32.5W usable now, and ease of upgrading to a full 65W later???

Do I have that right?

Is PC preferred over the fluorescents in the twin fixture?

You've got it perfectly.

It's easier to get more light over a tank with PC, however there tend to be much better bulb options for the flourescents like in the Twin Tube fixture. There's usually enough of the basic bulb options for PC that you can find something that will work, even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted.

Alright, I'll do some bulb research and figure it out from there. I like the idea of being able to easily upgrade in the future tho.

THanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom