Lighting for a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I am trying to get started with my first reef. I am going to wait a couple of months to finish up any research I have to do and let my tank mature a bit more. I have a 40g tank. I have a canister filter, a regular filter, a current maker, and I ordered my skimmer today (which is supposed to come in a week.) my tank is 3 months old, I'm happy with it. But I think it can do better. I want to buy a HO T5 fluorescent light, but I don't know how many watts or I have no clue.... The length would be 36". Should I get a 78 watts or 156 watts? Or how many watts? I want to have pretty corals, not that many fish. Another quick question, should I have my skimmer as a hang in or a slum?

Thank you!

How many bulbs is each fixture? I say to keep a nice variety of corals get a 4-bulb fixture. As far as brands look into Current USA for decent prices, Fishneedit.com for nice low prices, and Tek for high quality fixtures

Also just a question, how deep is the tank? A 40 breeder?

It's 4 bulbs. My tank is about:
Height: 13"
Length: 36"
Width: 16"

Thanks for the website, I will def check it out.

then its pretty easy to light thos corals with a T5 and suck a shallow tank i think 4 would be enough for any corals you'd want to put

Back
Top Bottom