Lighting For Monster tank Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHBGator

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I have an Idea on how to set up the lighting on my 600 for a planted 600! Just thought I'd get some opinions here. Tank Dimensions are 96Lx48wx30H I only plan on a few types of low maintenance US native plants like Vallisneria gigantea. Since I have such a large tank I know the WPG is out the window, But I was told once that using screw in compact fluorescent bulbs with a bell shaped reflector will work to "spotlight" the areas that you want the plant growth in. I was thinking 5 of these 105W SHO CFL staggered over the tank like this:
img_905708_0_2d74ffbfecabfbb5f7002f5356e9cb94.jpg

And then setting up 3 timers as follows:
Bulb 3 on timer 1
Bulbs 1 and 5 on timer 2
bulbs 2 and 4 on timer 3

Then starting at about 7am bulb 3 comes on, followed at 9am or so bulbs 1 and 5 turn on and finally 1pm bulbs 2 and 4 come on. Then as the day goes on reversing the order begining at around 5-6 pm with the lights going off in reverse order trying to simulate the natural sunrise and sunset. This way I hope to get good plant growth and try to limit algae growth.

Now a few more questions.
1) Is this to much light for a tank that will be mostly Vallisneria.
2) Will I need Co2?
3) should I use fewer SHO bulbs along with some other type of lights to simulate sunrise/sunset? TIA

Wow, didn't know that bulb existed. It looks like it would work ok to me. The bulbs are the right spectrum and good wattage. Makes me want to try something like this too. The stagering timing on the lights is a good idea. It's more like in real nature to the plants. I've grown plants for years without Co2 without any problems. (I just cant afford all that)

My first question to you is are you building the tank yourself or are you buying it preassembled? Is it going to be glass or acrylic? I'm assuming acrylic but I'm just curious. I don't know why you want it 30" tall. Personally, I wouldn't go more than 24" because you are going to have to pay a ton more for the aquarium and I think you are going to have trouble lighting that tank. The quality of the light rapidly decreases with an increase in the amount of water between the source and the plants. With that said, you are going to need good lights for the tank and I'm not sure that those bulbs will work. I don't know if CF bulbs have the ability to penetrate to that depth effectively, that's another reason why I'd recommend going with a shorter tank. Not to mention that if you plan to siphon the bottom it's going to be very difficult to do thoroughly. But, you might have some good filtration in mind that will make siphoning unnecessary. Just thought you should consider my points.

The tanks already built and has been up for a year now. Check my sig its a link.

Lighting on these larger aquariums is quite tricky. My gut reaction to your plan is that it's not going to be enough light, but I don't have any actual experiance with anything nearing that size. My recommendation would be to contact Tom Barr or another aquarist that sets up these monster planted aquariums and see what they recommend.

Lighting on these larger aquariums is quite tricky. My gut reaction to your plan is that it's not going to be enough light, but I don't have any actual experiance with anything nearing that size. My recommendation would be to contact Tom Barr or another aquarist that sets up these monster planted aquariums and see what they recommend.

Thats the 2nd Time I've heard someone say to contact him. Here I come Mr. Barr! :D thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom