Lighting for open-top tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

destroy-ya-vampire-money

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon long aquarium. As hoods are expensive (and with shipping it might become quite expensive) I was thinking of using a clip-on light to have at the edge of the tank.

It's lightly planted so I don't need anything terribly strong. Just something to help the plants grow a little faster and to create a more attractive environment.

Any brands or models I should check out? Thanks :)

I have a 20 gallon long aquarium. As hoods are expensive (and with shipping it might become quite expensive) I was thinking of using a clip-on light to have at the edge of the tank.

It's lightly planted so I don't need anything terribly strong. Just something to help the plants grow a little faster and to create a more attractive environment.

Any brands or models I should check out? Thanks :)

You can get a hood in amazon glass one for 30 bucks. I'm an amazon prime member so my shipping is free 2 day.

All of my tanks are open topped and I prefer it. You have a little more evaporation but light penetrates better to plants without one. If you have jumpers then you'll need one. I don't know where you live but Pet Smart usually has a couple different brands of lids to choose from that are pretty cheap. But if you want to use a clip on style light having a lid might be a safer option.

What I would do is buy a couple clip on shop lights. You can buy 6500k CFL bulbs and put them in the lamps and they will work just fine. I use them for my breeder tanks and my phytoplankton culture and they work great. I've seen a few different sizes of the clip on shop lights and I would suggest going with the lights with the larger shade on them since it wont overheat the bulbs as much. They aren't pretty but they are cheap and functional and will give you plenty of time to save up for a nicer fixture.

clip_on_light.jpg

Back
Top Bottom