Lighting Help! light looks green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vixan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The boyfriend and I decided to up our lighting on our planted tank so we can keep more high light plants.

We had 2 25w 5000k flouesents.

We changed it to three pendant lights hanging above the tank with slavina CFL 23watt 6500k 1450lumans bulbs. The "daylight" bulbs are supposed to give off a more natural light but it looks extremely green in color and not giving off a lot of light.

What are we doing wrong here?

Are you sure that the cfl "daylight" bulbs are listed at 6500K color temp? Your other current lighting at 5000k is far in the warmer temp color side which would have a yellow hue. My experience in getting cfl's listed as "daylight" often give off a cooler color temp closer to 10,000k, which would look bluish... well... when you mix yellow and blue, you get GREEN :)

That's what I'm thinking unless your tank looks green, rather than the light. In this case, it could be an algae bloom or algae on the glass due to excessive lighting and not enough co2 (or liquid carbon supplementation).

Edit: it was late and i didn't catch the part about replacing the lighting... I thought you added to existing lighting and color mixed. Scratch the first part of my post. :)

Why did you go from 50w florescents (T8 I assume?) to 69w of CFL? I believe those wattages are roughly equivalent in light output, as tubular florescents are more efficient than CFLs.

I initially read that when you went to pendant lights you were doing metal halide.

If you still have the old light set up and the time/money to waste, put 2 25w 6500K bulbs into the old fixture and compare the colors and light output to the CFL pendants. My guess is they will be very similar.

Back
Top Bottom