Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabriel3303

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a t5 36watt light for my 10 gallon i have banna plants Anubis an dwarf pennywort coming for my tank an im have trouble finding how long I should run my light a day for these plants?

You can start with 6-8 hours a day, 6-8 is usually the suggested time, and then after a good amount of time if no algae is present you can increase the time by an hour until you are happy with the photoperiod or until algae appears. If algae appears reduce by an hour and keep it there

all of your plants just need medium light. therefore 6hrs should be fine, assuming you have good substrate as well.

Just a 10 I've had alot of aquariums but just got back into it an really wana start doing alot of heavily planted tanks but am not real educated on it

with that substrate and lighting, i will recommend java ferns, amazon swords, wisteria, java moss, moss ball, dwarf sag, jungle vals, ludwigia, and other beginner plants to get your hands dirty. You probably know that for new tanks, there's always some sort of algae bloom. these plants will compete with algae for light as well as nutrients. they will also provide hiding spaces for your fish and possibly food source. for instance, i have not fed my otos for months because there's bits and pieces of algae growing on the plants. therefore in terms of taking care of my otos, i would have to say they're ZERO MAINTENANCE IME:brows:.

K thanks i was planning on putting Black Forest shrimp an hill stream loaches in it to start in hopes of keeping the algae at bay

What's the best way to make sure the algae dosnt over throw the plants an gets past the first battle

control your lighting and feeding.

Lighting: that's the reason why a few of us recommended to start off with 6hrs of lighting for some time to observe the growth of the plants as well as any algae bloom. with your current plant list, i suspect algae is going to grow because your plants are outnumbered. but as you increase your plant list, the chance of algae growth should be reduced.

Feeding: when feeding your fish, make sure you don't overfeed them. the excess food will decompose into a number of chemicals that are ideal for algae growth. feed your fish however much they will eat in 2-3 minutes.

ps. i wouldn't worry about algae that much for now because a healthy balanced tank always have some algae in it. when you see algae growing, you know right off the bat something is going well (ie there's enough nutrient and lighting). when algae becomes a nuisance, introduce algae eating species. nerite snails are a good option. otos are excellent for small tank like yours.

Back
Top Bottom