Lighting Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bushman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help. I started my 1st reef tank last wekend. On advice from the fish store. I got an 80 gallon "show tank". I know, I know, its more difficult due to depth. Here's my question.He told and sold me two Aqualife 20 in. 4 pin power compact units at 96 watts each. They are the ones with an aluminum ballast and one bulb. 50% of it is actinic blue. He said that would be enough to do most invertibrates, live rock, reef fish.

I have since read that my lighting may be seriously inadequate. IS it? Help!!

I think you're gonna have to go MH if you want to do a reef in that tank. Probably 2x250w minimum.

What are the exact dimensions?

The tank is 48l x 15w x 30?d. Sorry I forgot the depth. I thimk that is correct.

You might want to get 2 more hoods and have 10,000k bulbs on those. combinde with the ones you have, you should be on to something.

that would be cheaper than MH lighting anyway.

Are you familiar with the lights I am describing from coralife? The white section of the bulb is 10,000k. Im not sure I can fit another hood on the narrow tank, and with a canopy the lights are already effecting the water temp. I could be in trouble.

Coralife has a Lunar Aqualight hood with 2 power compacts. one is actnic blue, one is 10,000K. PLUS it has moonlights. excellent lighting setup. It should work well, Is your tank 15" deep or 30 " deep. If its 15, those should work. If its 30" you will want to go 2 deep on your lights.

Try lowering the temprature in your room a couple degrees. I did and I was able to get my tanks temp down from 83 degrees to 79-80 degrees.

The main problem is that you just don't have enough wattage for corals at the moment.. another 2 bulbs would get you up to speed but then you get to the second problem which is they just won't penetrate deep enough into the tank to be useful.

I would definitely advise MH lighting on that tank if you want to go full reef... or atleast 4x96w PC if you can live with not placing any corals near the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom