Lighting, LED or flourescent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im thinking of buying LEDs for my tank. Will my plants still benefit from LEDs? Also, what about the lights with a day and night light? Do I turn on the night lights to simulate night time or do I go from day to night to off? Thank you.

If you get the right LEDs, your plants will benefit. I'm able to grow high-light plants in a 20H under 30W of good LEDs.

The moon lights are designed to be left on all night, but it's really up to you.

Fluorescent lighting is more than sufficient to grow plants if you have enough of it. T5HO does wonders for plants, but you burn more energy than comparable LEDs. Fluorescent lights are cheaper than LEDs though.

I was thinking of buying a 40 dollar marine land LED for my small 10g. Will this be better for my plants? Plus a night light would look cool

Which fixture? The Single Bright isn't worth much. The Double Bright has given people good results.

I recently purchased a great LED light on Ebay. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good buy or not as the price wasn't too bad.... and seemed that to get a GOOD LED aquarium light you usually have to spend $80+ or more just for something suitable for a 20gallon.

I have browsed this forum for awhile but never posted but had to register just to recommend this light when I saw your post. I hope it's OK. I'm just going to give the item number as I haven't read the FAQ's yet to see if links are OK or not. The item number is 110854656115

I am not that guy nor do I know him at all. I'm just really excited about the light and will be buying more. It was a LOT brighter than I had anticipated. I haven't had it long enough to know how it will do for live plants. I have it on a 30 gallon tall right now and the light penetrates better than expected to the bottom. I had originally bought it for a 20 gallon but needed a temp. light on this 30 gal. tall for the time being.

It has like 4-5 blue LED's for a night light function. It looks beautiful with it on, but I don't use it every night. The shipper is in the US and I got the light 3 days after paying.

I haven't seen the Marineland light you mentioned for $40, but I doubt it would be as big or bright as the one on Ebay.

Alright. I guess when it fails I'll buy a double bright. I just hope my plants will do okay.

Single brights are going to give less light than a single T8. They really aren't the greatest choice for plants unless you're wanting loooooooow light.

Back
Top Bottom