Lighting my tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have a 13 gallon wide screen tank from Aquean and it came with a hood equipped with nine diodes at .5 watts per diode giving a total of 4.5 watts for the whole tank. Aquean said that this equals about 9 to 10 watts of fluorescent lights. They are cool white lights at 6500k which I heard was good for plants but the wattage seems to low to grow plants. The plants I am trying to grow are low light plants, Dwarf Sagitatia which requires 3 WPG, Water Sprite and Java Moss which requires only 1 to 2 WPG and Guppy Grass. I have not been able to find out what WPG Guppy Grass likes but I heard it was pretty low. With my current situation I am looking at .346 WPG. of LEDs equal to about .76 WPG of fluorescent. This probably explains why my Guppy Grass is disintegrating, the Water Sprite and Dwarf Sag. are growing but very slowly.
I live in Florida and don't like to have my home too cold. I keep my AC at around 78 and unfortunately my tank stays at 80. I think this is a little too high for my fish and snails so I am planning on building a screen top for my tank to provide more evaporation in an attempt to cool down the tank to 78. I need the netting to keep my nerite snails and fish from escaping the tank.
I need better lighting for the tank to grow the plants and have been looking for a LED strip to go on top but have been having a hard time finding one that will provide enough light. I don't need or want moonlights but do need the strip to work with a timer. I am also concerned that the strip can be damaged by water since the tank won't have a glass top. Can anyone give me suggestions on a good strip to buy or any other lighting suggestions?

Tank Info:
The current stock I have in the tank are three Platy and three nerite snails. Plans to add one more Platy, 4 or 5 Endler's Guppies and RCS plus Java moss. I have sand and gravel substrate with a nice size piece of driftwood in the center of the tank. My tank has PH of 8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates, 80 degrees in tank. Started adding one dose of .05 mil. of Seachems Flourish this past week and plan to add it weekly.

Thanks! ~J

It's cool that you know the equivalent conversion for that stock LED to what a florescent tube would produce in terms of light. However, not all LED fixtures provide such conversion, instead show lumens or PAR. PAR is what us planted tank folks use to estimate low, moderate, to high light intensity. Not watts (wpg).

With that said, read the 1st post in this thread by Hoppy:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

Also, please let us know your budget for a LED fixture so we can provide recommendations.

BTW, adding a screen will reduce your light (PAR). I'd go topless or glass top. IMO, 80° water temp isn't something to worry about.

Last edited:
I was looking to spend around $100. Thanks for the link as it was very informative. Unfortunately it makes finding the right light more complicated :p I looked into the glass tops with the hinged lids and they don't make them to fit my tank. I'd have to see if a glass cutting place could cut one down for me. ~J

Do you know anything about the Wave-point 12-Inch 16-Watt Daylight Micro Sun LED High Output Clamp Light ? I was thinking of getting two of them to cover the 23 in length of my tank. Thanks! ~J

I'm familiar with those LEDs, but ever since the introduction of LED fixtures that have RGB (for color temp customization) and dimming capabilities, those older LEDs just aren't that appealing. For one, they're not full spectrum and two, it's sometimes a pain to have to limit the photoperiod to avoid algae if the PAR output is too high.

I'd go with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 since it's within budget. Another option is the Current Satellite LED+.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0HN1DG?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I'm familiar with those LEDs, but ever since the introduction of LED fixtures that have RGB (for color temp customization) and dimming capabilities, those older LEDs just aren't that appealing. For one, they're not full spectrum and two, it's sometimes a pain to have to limit the photoperiod to avoid algae if the PAR output is too high.

I'd go with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 since it's within budget. Another option is the Current Satellite LED+.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0HN1DG?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

+1,more options with 24/7..

sit in silence...

Thanks for the advice! I already have a Current Single Ramp Timer so I'm leaning towards that one. I am a little concerned that the 27/4 doesn't keep the tank dark enough past 8hrs. Don't fish need darkness for at least that long? ~J

Just put it on a separate timer between 6-8hrs & adjust the light intensity..doesn't have to be on 24/7..most of my tanks only run a 6 hr photoperiod..

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom