Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I decided out of winter boredom to add color to my tank. I just added some Ludigia family in hopes of keeping the purplish color. It was suggested that I up my light. I currently use only (2 )of my (4) 65watt Coralife 6700 bulbs for 7 hours a day. Would turning on the other (2) 65watt bulbs for 2-3 hours a day increase my lighting to an acceptable level to maintain plant color? Will I run into any algae issues?
I also need to replace the 2 bulbs I have been running for a year now without replacement--I believe its time?

I also just added an unknown to me-Monosolenium Tenerum-anybody have any experience with this one? LFS just added it to its variety.
Thanks
Cliff-NY

55 gal
Watson dry fertsand CSM+B
Injected Co2
Rena XP3
Coralife-4x65w
Eco-Complete

Folks,
I posted early yesterday but dont see my posting so I am going to try again. :confused:
To summerize, I want to add color to my tank so I added some Ludwigia family plants. I currently run 2x65w for 7hours a day . Will turning on the other 2x65w lights for 2 hours a day be enough to suppliment additional light requirements for colorful plants? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Cliff NY
55gal
Watson Dry ferts-and CSM+B
Injected CO2
eco complete

Thanks

Unfortunately this is one of those things that can very greatly from aquarist to aquarist, and even aquarium to aquarium. I'd say give it a try and see if it works.

Generally there are three factors that can influence whether a plant maintains it's red coloration: Lighting, Iron, Nitrate Limitation. Depending on the plant you are growing it may be one or more of these that is needed to keep red growth. Personally I seem to just grow green plants for the most part, unless they get close to the surface and the highest direct light. Then again I've never really played with upping Iron dosing or limiting Nitrates.

Using all your lights, that would be almost 5 WPG. You could try that, like you said, for a few hours. Watch your CO2 levels and you also could need to add a bit more fertilizer, since more light could spur more growth. I don't have a large tank but I did something a bit similar in my 10 gallon tank - I had an 18 watt CF over most of the tank and then I put a smaller 18 watt CF fixture sideways over the extreme right side of the tank for a few hours a day. I wanted to grow some of the higher-light stem plants. I have CO2 injection in this tank and it worked out well. After awhile, I only used one of the 9-watt bulbs in the fixture instead of both. That seemed to work well for me with no algae issues. Try it in your tank and try increasing your CO2 if you get algae. With more light, the plants will probably photosynthesize faster and require more CO2.

Yes, I would replace the two bulbs you've had for a year. I read that CFs should be replaced every 8-10 months. I just replaced mine and it was 10 months. Try replacing first before you use the additional lights. You may find that the newer lights will give you the brightness you want.

I had some Monosolenium tenerum for awhile. It is rather brittle and little pieces can break off and re-grow at various places in the tank. To avoid this, trim it outside of the tank. I have usually seen a clump placed on a rock and secured with a hairnet. It won't look nice at first but then it will grow and stick out of the hairnet. It will look like a little green puff ball.

Folks,
Thanks for your suggestions!! Ill adjust accordingly! Keep u posted!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom