Lighting Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristinaE12

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been looking at PlantGeek.net for quite some time. And have an idea which plants are what. But the lighting itself is what I don't quite get.

What determines low, medium, high, etc... lighting??

I'm assuming and pretty sure I have low lighting and wondering if there is anything to help without upgrading my whole light setup. Just a bulb is pretty much fine at this point though...If that would help, at all.

I currently have an AquaGlo and PowerGlo T8 bulbs. Both brand new.

I have a few Amazon Swords and Wisteria. Neither seem to be doing very great. Which is why I'm asking these questions and wondering what else would be okay for what I have currently.

Your Lighting Question

Hello Chris...

I'm like you in my knowledge of lighting. But, if you're interested in low to moderate light plants, and there are a lot of them, all you need is to get bulbs that mimic natural sunlight or 5500 K light. 6500 K bulbs are recommended for growing most aquatic plants.

Lighting really is fairly simple if you're not planning on growing demanding plants. If you use 6500 K, T8s and have lighting in the 1 to 2 watts per gallon range, you can grow plants that require low to moderate light.

I have several 55 G tanks and grow Java fern, Anubias, Cryptocoryne, varieties of Amazon sword, Onion plant, Peace lily, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Hygro, Indian Fern, Pennywort and several others I can't recall. I use one, 6500 K, T8, 32 watt bulb in each tank.

The lights are extremely inexpensive. A pack of three 48 inch bulbs at Lowe's is about $10.00.

Again, if you're interested in a well planted tank with minimal lighting, just let me know. I'm never too busy to chat about the low light, low tech area of plant keeping.

B

Back
Top Bottom