Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnS

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some newbie lighting questions: Right now we are using Satellite Dual lights, 4 x 65W 10K/Actinics. I want to get more light in the tank but don't know that I am prepared to go with metal halide. Apart from cost, my reluctance to mh is the fact that you need to hang them above the tank. My tank has a nice cherry hood on it that I would hate to have to remove to add light (the current lights rest on the glass, concealed nicely).

I'm sure I know the answer to my first question but I'll ask anyway. Is there any point in adding a second identical fixture? I'm thinking two 10K's don't add up to one 20K but hey who knows. My second question is does anyone know if I can replace my existing 10K bulbs with 20K bulbs? And finally, are you aware of any mh lights that have a low profile and could be placed under the existing hood?

TIA!

I think I can answer both of your questions.

1) If you get a second identical fixture, you will be doubling your watts/gallon which would be excellent. I don't know that you will have enough room under your hood to fit two of those fixtures though . . . I have the same one.

2) There are some low profile MH hoods. I just bought the Coralife hood that has 2 150W MH bulbs and 2 96W actinic PC bulbs. I am not positive that it would fit under your hodd but it might.

If you are looking for a second Current USA Satellite fixture, let me know. I am not using mine anymore and would be happy to sell it to you. It's 5 months old. I'm in Philly if that helps. PM me if you're interested.

tripper

2) There are some low profile MH hoods. I just bought the Coralife hood that has 2 150W MH bulbs and 2 96W actinic PC bulbs. I am not positive that it would fit under your hodd but it might.

hows the heat on that thing?

**edit** I found where you answered that in another thread.... 80 at "night" and 81-82 during the "day" thanks for the info!! I know what light I'm getting for my 72 bowfront now!!

WHy not pick up (2) coralvue 250 watt MH retro kits at $190 each and add 14K bulbs? You can bolt them to your existing canopy and add more light and not have to remove the canopy.

Back
Top Bottom