lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. New to the site lots of info here. I have a question, I putting a current usa nova extreme T5 2x54 watt 48", is this considered low light or low-med light for a 55gal ? I'm hopeing this is enough lighting to get some of the nicer red plants.:n00b:

I'd say that would give you medium light actually. Should be able to grow a nice variety of plants.

Hey everyone. New to the site lots of info here. I have a question, I putting a current usa nova extreme T5 2x54 watt 48", is this considered low light or low-med light for a 55gal ? I'm hopeing this is enough lighting to get some of the nicer red plants.:n00b:

With good bulbs you can grow any plant you want and I would say its high light if you have the "individual reflector" model.

I know a couple people that have a single Giesemann 54w T5HO with a TEK II reflector on a 55G w/ pressurized CO2 and they can "high light" plants no prob.

Then other people with the Catalina fixture, using 2x 54w bulbs on a 90G with no CO2 and any more than 8hrs its algae issues.

So start with 1 bulb then work into 2 bulbs if its a new tank.

And as far as needing high light to have red plants it is a myth

Cool I was hopeing to here that. The tank has beed running for about five years with some malaysian driftwood, about six large size river rock, clown loach, 2 small plecos, 4angelfish and some guppies. I want to make it a planted tank now. thats why I upgraded the light, and also adding laterite to the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom