Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im buying those tube lights or maybe leds about 500-600 watts at home depot and i was wondering what color should i get if any specific? Or what should i look for?

I wouldn't recommend much that you can get at home depot for a tank of that size that you want to go reef with.

If you can find some quality T5HOs that are individually reflected, they could work well - but most fixtures at a hardware store will have group reflectors, which will destroy the PAR value you get from the fixture.

Also, you will want to provide some ~450NM actinic light - you are not going to find those at Home Depot most likely. For white, you will want to be in the 14,000K to 18,000K range - also could be hard to come by at Home Depot.

You definitely do not want to buy any LEDs for lighting a reef tank at HD either.

its more than wattage, its spectrum, PAR etc.... House lights aren't the same as reef lights. Check out the T5HO light fixtures made by ATI of you are thinking T5HO's. If you are looking at LED's check out Radion or Aqua Illuminaton.

Also, what wattage you would need depends GREATLY on what kind of fixture you buy. Wattage required from LEDs will be much different than T5HOs, etc.

It sounds as if you need to do some research on reef lighting before you make any purchases...
Here is a very basic overview that ought to get you started, but I would also research more after reading this: Aquarium Lighting: Quick Guide to Aquarium Lighting

Back
Top Bottom